Thursday, May 6, 2010

A Little Sea Bathing Would Set Me Up Forever


Swallow study accomplished! Elsbeth left Egleston this afternoon sporting barium in her eyebrows, feeling disgruntled, but with an 'A' in swallowing. And I got to see a gentleman strolling proudly through the hospital wearing the most terrifying hair piece ever created, which pretty much made the whole outing worth it for me.

The speech therapist (Laura) who conducted the study felt very good about how all her swallowing parts worked and concluded that she is very sensitive to texture. It was wonderful to hear that her throat flappy bits are protecting her air tube as they should (yes, I have a degree in speech therapy) and that if (when) she gets choked up on food she should be able to clear it on her own with out the 911 people. Laura suggested I just press on with foods, helping her to learn the new textures, and that she should catch up with her contemporaries (who are snarfing chicken nuggets, quesadillas and apple wedges).

I kind of wish she had done one of her gurgley chokes where she can only whimper because she doesn't have enough air to cry. I described these more than once, and though I'm sure Laura believed me, it would be comforting to me to know she's witnessed it and still unconcerned. The only thing she actually did see what a bit of a cough/gag, which, though I don't like it when she does that either, isn't the reason I decided to do a whole big children's hospital event.

Ultimately still good news which we celebrated with french fries at McD's with friends. In my newly emboldened state, I gave The Fiery One her very own french fry.


She proceeded to stick the whole thing in her mouth, and at once my boldness dissipated. I snatched it out, then went back to pinching little bits of it off for her. Then she got choked up on some small pieces of soft green bean, but she got through it without any back beating. Baby steps.

Andrew and Marjorie Stewart-Baxter shared a booth and a couple of Happy Meals and neither of them choked on a thing.

9 comments:

Jean Joiner said...

raising kids is such a process. what comes easy for some takes a LONG time for others. it's a mystery, isn't it? i guess that's how we all grow though. glad to hear she got an A!

Crazy Aunt Sallie said...

I'm glad that Elsbeth's throat parts all seem to be normal. That is such a cute picture of Andrew and "Marjorie Stewart Baxter". It's like a little toddler date. :)

Brea said...

I'm so glad to hear there is nothing serious to worry about, and praying that all her throat parts will get used to exotic textures like McD's fries soon!

Anonymous said...

Way cute "toddler date" & E is just beautiful & precious! Glad everything checked out so well

jane said...

we offered french fries early... maybe that is what led to heightened interest ;-)
i'm so thankful everything is in order- i know you are so thankful to have that behind you!

Kara said...

Hey Christy, thanks for your kind note a while back on my blog! Your daughter is beautiful, sorry to hear about the choking...I'm sure that's scary! This whole motherhood thing is sure a humbling process, keeps us on our knees. You should have taken a picture of the hairpiece, you've got me wondering what it looked like :).

Aunt Jessie said...

Yay!! I'm so glad Elsbeth had a good report from the doctor! We'll be continuing to pray for her, though.

Those pictures are so cute as always! A & E are getting so big! Ahh! Time please stop!

Heather Iverson said...

Glad to hear all went well for Elsbeth's appointment. Wish I could have seen that hair piece!

Unknown said...

Good! I knew she'd be fine!

I love that pic of Andrew and friend.