Thursday, February 3, 2011

Pathetic Effort To Hog The Brownie!


Back in the days of yore, I worked for a man who worked for a company that was completely obsessed with goals. Personal goals. Company goals. Where do you see yourself in ten years? Five years? Twenty minutes? And even though I was a mere administrative assistant no aspirations of going anywhere in this company (perish the thought!), I was occasionally pressed to come up with my own goals, an exercise which I loathed and detested. I'm simply not built this way. I'd stare blankly at my boss and think deeply about my lunch or slowly close my eyes and hold my breath in an attempt to pass out. I honestly can't think of a single goal I ever came up with in my years of working there other than the goal of never being an administrative assistant ever again.

But for some reason I've recently been putting together a list of things I'd like to accomplish in my life. No big goals here. No saving a species or becoming the president of anything or even getting my desk organized. Just a handful of somewhat unusual things that I've decided I'd kinda like to do one day.


1. Smoke something

I'm not exactly sure what yet, but I'll go ahead and cross anything illegal or instantly addictive off the list. Cigars are hideous, so those are out, too. Cigarettes are the obvious choice, but, well, they just smell so dang awful and I'm a little afraid I would throw up. If I go with a cigarette, though, I was thinking I could throw in one of those really awesome cigarette holders so that I would look exactly like this during the experience:



My friend Jane and I had plans a while back to smoke clove cigarettes together, and I don't know exactly what those are but apparently they would make me instantly artsy, which would be nice.

And what about a pipe? I'm pretty sure Audrey Hepburn would not approve, but I adore the smell of a pipe. And I think I'd have a shot at being at least a little more artsy at the end of the day, in a literary, C.S. Lewisian sort of way. Man, I really love the smell of a pipe. And I love Lewis. What if I became addicted? That could be a problem. Do you think Andrew would be embarrassed if I picked him up from kindergarten puffing my pipe? Would Phil mind if I pulled out the old pipe after a romantic dinner on our anniversary? So many things to consider before crossing this one off my list of life accomplishments.


2. Wear my wedding dress again

I should probably clarify that I don't want to get married again, I just want to wear the dress again. I mean, that thing was expensive! And I like it, it's pretty. I didn't get it preserved or anything, so it's just hanging in my closet, moldering away all pitiful and lonely and crazy jealous of all the ratty t-shirts surrounding it that get loads of attention.

In a wild fit of fancy, let's pretend that I could actually get into my dress at this point. What I want to do is have a girl's night out where we all wear our wedding dresses (veils optional). There should probably be more than 2 of us, just so no one assumes we're marrying each other (I live in Atlanta, I have to think about such things), but 3 or 4 would be perfect. Come on, friends, who's with me?! Let's leave our diaper bags and apple juice splattered tennis shoes behind for an evening and go out for dessert in our bridal gowns! It would be awesome. Anyone?

Anyone???


3. Experience nitrous oxide

Also known as laughing gas, this stuff really intrigues me. I've never been under the influence of any chemical substance (that I'm aware of) and I feel my life lacking as a result. I think alcohol so vile and disgusting a beverage that I don't think I could force myself to consume enough to get even a little giggly. I've never been put under for surgery (the only surgery I've had was for my eyes, and, as you may recall, I was nursing at the time and opted not to take the really awesome "I'm so relaxed I don't even care that you're cutting a flap in my cornea " pill they prescribed me.) My mom won't let my dad give me his crazy high-powered sleeping pills that he claims would cause me to drop like a sack of clams into my mashed potatoes and stay that way for a week. (Wouldn't that be fabulous?!) Illegal drugs still seem like a bad idea. So really, nitrous oxide is my one viable option. And I love to laugh! What could be better?

I usually hear about laughing gas being administered by a dentist. No problem! I'm actually good friends with my dentist ... he's married to one of my close friends. Hmmmm. But wait! I know another dentist! Also the husband of one of my close friends. What if this gas turns me into one of the senile old ladies I used to take care of in my days as a nurse's assistant in a nursing home? You do NOT want to know what these cute little old church-going grannies used to say to the doctors on check-up day. I am suddenly fearful of the dark, hairy subconscious that I was so eager to plumb only seconds ago. I haven't the foggiest idea why lies beneath it's murky waters.

I wonder if I could talk Dr. Robinson into slipping a trial-size nitrous tank into my toothbrush and floss gift bag?


4. Watch the entire Dallas series

I've never seen a single episode. I just know that someone named J. R. is involved and I believe is assaulted at some point with a firearm. And, for reasons mysterious to me, I can hum the entire theme song. I have just discovered that I can own the entire series for a mere $360.96 AND I'd be eligible for super saver shipping! I think for all the really really long football games I've endured for his sake, Phil owes me 168 hours of his life. And a yacht.


5. Have a stalker

I think this would give my self-esteem a nice boost.

Now I do have some very specific ideas of what I want in my stalker. First and foremost, he must be young and extremely exceptionally good looking. Something along the lines of ...



Yes. That would do nicely.

Also, I'd prefer nothing creepy. I'll cook my own pets, thank you very much. I'm looking for someone who is overcome by my stunning beauty from afar and just can't move on. He catches a glimpse of me whizzing through Kroger, clip askew in my matted, unwashed hair and his breath catches. He follows me from a respectable distance to the frozen food section and is mesmerized by my grace as I pick up the box of cereal my enraged toddler has chucked across the store. He stares in disbelief at my athleticism as I race to the bathroom pushing a 800 pound cart just in time to keep my 4-year-old from wetting his pants. At this moment, he just knows. I'm the one, his heart's only desire.

At first he just writes me letters, detailing how incredibly gorgeous I am. Then he moves on to leaving flowers and expensive gifts on my doorstep. Finally, the flowers and jewels are accompanied by tickets for two to New Zealand where he asks that we live together forever in his giant mansion.

At this point, of course, I'll have to let him down gently, informing him I am madly in love with my husband (which he has no idea that I have, because he's always out running). A tear will roll down his check, and he will walk away through the fog, forlorn.


And this completes my list of life goals! I expect each and every one of you to hold me to these and not let me give up on my dreams.

20 comments:

Laura said...

Christy - You are hilarious. I would totally do a wedding dress dessert night with you but, ahem, I don't think I will ever fit in mine again. Maybe that should be my goal so I can join you (and others - right ladies?) in wearing our wedding dresses again.
And as for laughing gas - do you remember having to take care of me after I had my wisdom teeth pulled...

Christy said...

Laura, I totally forgot about that! You were funny, but not obscene or scary ... that lessens my insecurity about the whole thing. Or maybe you just have a delightful and innocent subconcious. Or maybe you said crazy and horrible things to the dentist during the procedure, but the effects had worn off a little by the time you got to me. Insecurity returning ...

Christy said...

I am also wild with delight that I already have one girlfriend ready to do the wedding dress girls' night. Yea for Laura! I say if we can't zip 'em, we'll just wear a pretty sweater or jacket.

Gillespie Macully said...

Funny you should mention the wedding dress thing. I found mine crumpled in a heap in my parents's basement, so I tried it on for old time's sake. Not a boost for my self-esteem. I would gladly join you for a wedding dress night out, but I'd have to go buy one a few sizes larger than the waif-size one I apparently had for my wedding day. :) I love you. You are so funny. Please allow me to smoke something with you. I know how to make tea cigarettes. Oh yes. I'm cool.

Christy said...

There are such things as tea cigarettes?? Well, I think we have a winner!

Crazy Aunt Sallie said...

I would absolutely join you in the wedding dress night out. Zipping may be a concern, but I'm sure with some ingenuity something could be worked out. Also, I boldly announced to my family on our ski trip that I would definitely try smoking pot at least once if it were legalized. I highly recommend candy cigarettes as well. :) As far as a stalker, I'll lend you one of mine.

Dave, Ami, Hadleigh Claire, Annelise, and True said...

I will say first off, I would LOVE to do the wedding dress thing, but I am terrified about trying to fit into it. Actually I know there is no way it would fit at this point, but maybe once I give up nursing? I have smoked swisher sweet cigars, and they are not foul and kinda fun. Also, at Dave's office you get laughing gas for anything! Stuck in traffic? Want some gas? Had trouble parking? Want some gas? I swear by the stuff...it is awesome!!!

Nina said...

I believe I could join you and your friends for the wedding dress outing if I wore mine upside down. You know, scoot along like Morticia Adams with my ankles together and gather the bottom of the dress around my neck.(I can't think of what to do with the sleeves.)

Ami: If you can get laughing gas for traffic, I definitely want some for teaching third graders!

Phil said...

This is all so disturbing on so, so many levels.

Sarah-Jane said...

I will smoke with you, maybe wear my wedding dress...though it is filthy somewhere at my mom's house along with Gilians, and I would love to do some whippets:) You know you could just suck the air out of a whipped cream can......sad that I know that, but I do.

Anonymous said...

Christy,
So much funny; so little time to comment. Over the past several years, we have bought Matt's mom seasons 1, 2, and 3 of Dallas. When we visit her during the time of year known as non-football-season, that's what we watch together. We just reached the point where JR was assulted by a firearm in early August, I believe. We do more laughing than anything. I don't believe Dallas was created as a sitcom, but that seems to be how we treat it. But my favorite part of this: the off-hand remark about how your stalker isn't aware that you're happily married since Phil is always off running. :) Priceless.
Jennifer Lockhart

Georgia Girl said...

First, I must commend you on setting goals for yourself! Secondly, I am saddened to say I cannot join you in the wedding dress because at some point I gave it up to my mother who donated it somewhere. I knew I had reached a point of no return in trying to fit back in. Although the idea thrills me to go out on the town in Atlanta in a wedding gown - so maybe someone would loan me theirs!
Do you remember that Erin and I used to smoke cigars occassionally in college - no idea why! I can cross that one off. I love your stalker - send him my way sometime. I promise to let him down easy. I've had enough prescribed drugs for my fill after two c-sections and wisdom teeth removal. Dallas...I remember my parent's always watching that show but never seen it myself. Maybe we should all have a Dallas marathon while smoking our cigarettes in our wedding gowns after a dose of nitrous oxide while our stalker peers through the window one evening.

trmills said...

Put it all together and it sounds like the ultimate girls' night. Please schedule the fun when I'm in proximity.

Oh, and do you know, as a little girl I watched a LOT of Dallas? You probably could have guessed; it shaped a lot of who I am today:).

Anonymous said...

JR or junior, as I like to call him was a very bad fellow, as all juniors have a tendacy to be. I think they are ticked that their parents were to lazy to give them a name of their own. Most don,t start wars but some do.
I tried smoking pine needles wraped in notebook paper when I was young-too much tar-it blacked my teeth, and my breath smelled like a car deorderizer for a week. Give it a try-you won't forget it.
The closest thing I have ever had to a stalkers were I guess stalkees. As a milkman I spent hours in grocery stores. It never failed that some older lady would come up to me and say I looked just like her nephew. I know milkmen get around, but neither me nor my father had anything to do with the situation. You gotta believe me.
White makes me look fat.

Auntie said...

Brilliant. Well done you.

Brea said...

I'm in for the wedding dress night out, but you'll probably have to give me at least 12 months from now, maybe more...

I'm positive John could hook you up with some nitrus. Unfortunately I think it would probably have to coincide with a root canal or something along those lines, but maybe if you go in for a cleaning and act really nervous and frantic you could wrangle yourself some. I wouldn't tell...

Sara said...

HI-larious! I love, love, love all of these goals, and I can't wait to see you smoking a pipe while wearing your wedding dress!

Heather Iverson said...

Hey, if I can be seen in public with you with pantyhose stuffed with oranges wrapped around our necks then I think I could handle the wedding gown thing. When should we do it? Is Friday good for you?

Hmmm... I am pretty sure, no, make that certain, that you do not get to pick your stalker and there is no way he would look that awesome! Ha!

Aunt Jessie said...

Ahhh!! I love this!! I will totally wear my wedding dress out with you. I'll have to wear my bella band with it but who cares!?

Unknown said...

your wedding gown outing is something i'd love to do, too!! trouble is the first halloween after we got married i wanted to go trick-or-treating in it around charlotte. boot thought that was not a cool idea .... i got miffed and proceeded to put it in the goodwill box.