Sunday, August 28, 2011

It Can Reach The Piglett?


The Fiery One and I have really been enjoying our girly mornings together. Last week we went wild and decided to alter a yummy plum bread recipe and make it into peach muffins instead - a pretty big risk for me. The muffins ended up stuck fast to the pan, but the pieces we pulled out were mighty tasty. Els was the official peach taster during this project and she did a swell job. She even left just enough fruit for the muffins. (PS - The plum bread is delicious but tends not to get done in the middle ... one of the reasons for making the switch to a muffin tin.)

Another morning we spent walking the isles of Costco. Phil has decided Costco's official motto should be "It Seemed Like A Good Idea At The Time." I think of it as I strain my back unloading giant flats of Gatorade and 12-pound sacks of raisins. And I seem to be going through a phase where every time I go out shopping I think to myself, "Hmmm, I do believe we're out of toilet cleaner" and grab a couple bottles. So, naturally, I find myself dragging a 10-pack of Lysol toilet gel around the house only to find every cabinet loaded down with the Clorox toilet gel I was compelled to buy last time.

Anyway, while I was there I noticed they were selling Carter's footed fleece pajamas in both 3T and 5T (yes, my girl is already growing out of her 2T clothes!), and The Precious had recently been talking about how excited he was going to be to wear footed whambones again. I don't know why they thrill his soul so, but he wore the feet right out of the ones I finally tracked down in 4T last year. So I grabbed a pair for each of them. Elsbeth had to hold hers all through the store and in the car on the way home, and Andrew went nutty nuts when he saw them after school. My two children spend the entire Georgia August afternoon gleefully tearing around the house in fleece footed pajamas with sweaty heads and rosy cheeks. Andrew and I had a bit of a battle over whether or not he was wearing them to sleep, but I won in the end because I'm bigger and pretty committed to him not having a heat stroke.


Speaking of weird kids, I think Elsbeth may have gotten the Fisher Crazy Gene like her mother before her. I believe she and I are going to share the same odd sense of humor and random wackiness - whoo hoo! A small sampling:

During snack time at the zoo: "Mommy, I want you to take a picture of me eating my pretzels." OK, no problem.


A couple days ago in the kitchen: She declares she and Minnie Mouse must sing the ABC song together upside down. Alrighty then.



She says hilarious things all the time which I kick myself for not writing down. She regularly fixes me tea and treats in her little kitchen and beams when Andrew includes her in his games (the most recent favorite, playing bears in a kitchen-chair-and-blanket bear cave that come running out to feast on Mommy's legs until she tickles them and sends them shrieking back to their hideout).


And ... drum roll please ... she is now sleeping in a big girl bed! We made the switch this weekend and she has been so excited about it. Here she is all set for night night sleepy time on Saturday night:



She's done so well. There's a little built-in rail, so I haven't had the fun of hunting for her in the middle of the night like I did Andrew. Tonight I heard something strange after putting her down and discovered she'd reached under her bed and pulled up the toy baskets stored there. She was waist-deep in blocks and Lego's having grand old time. I think I'll find another spot for those. Other than that, the transition has been perfect. And adorable.


4 comments:

Nina said...

I love Elsbeth's big girl bed, and all her craziness. I believe singing upside down with Minnie Mouse is classic!

Peamama said...

WOW! Go Elsbeth! Such a big girl. And I think I agree with the whole singing upside down thing--with Minnie of course.

Unknown said...

How adorable. Girls are fun even if they keep you on an emotional roller-coaster. It was SO great seeing you all! Hope you didn't mind not hearing the sermon too!

Anonymous said...

I love how Piglet sleeps just like she does. :)