Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Like He Was One Of Those Cows In Michigan


Hooray!!!  Our sweet feathered babies are here!  We got a new brood of baby chicks just this morning - at Phil's request I'll have you know.  Plus he was responsible for their names, an honor I rarely let out of my clutches, but he picked really good ones.  Ten thousand points and an omelet to anyone who can find the common thread.  Here are Elsbeth and Andrew holding their most cherished, Els with Mary and Andrew with Sybil.  They are both Easter Eggers, precious little chicken mutts that can look very different from each other (as you may have gathered) and lay eggs ranging from white to pink to blue.  No one knows 'til their first eggs what you'll be getting from these girls, but Elsbeth is pulling hard for Mary to be a pink layer while Andrew is whispering high praise about the color blue in Sybil's ear.

And now an introduction to the other 4 newest members of the family.

Below are Isobel and Violet, both Buff Brahma's.  I've been wanting this breed since we got our first chicks, but they were never available at the right time until now.  They are brown egg layers with feathered legs, known as the gentle giants among chickens and revered for their huggability.  Don't you just want to hug one right now?




Next is Edith, a Rhode Island Red and Phil's special girl.  He just loves this breed - wonderful egg layers, sweet and beautiful - but between illness and raccoons and hawks we've had terrible luck keeping them around.  We're really pulling for Edith.




And finally, here's Daisy being a little shy for the camera (not used to be out of the scullery and all).  She's my Olive Egger, another mixed breed with a lovable temperament that lays the most amazing olive-green eggs.  We're looking forward to a very colorful egg basket come fall.



In other news, here's Elsbeth all decked out for the sheepdog trials.  Who knew it was such an ostentatious affair?  If I'm remembering correctly, she was actually a dog in the trials and won first place!  And I didn't even train her.  She's just that good.



Our sweet Nibblet, clearly more competitive and athletic than we ever knew, followed up her trial win with a medal-earning run in the Parkview Christian School Trail Trot.  It was pretty adorable watching the siblings tear off together down our local walking trail with a smattering of Andrew's school mates.  Elsbeth is holding her longhorn steer named University who was peeking out of the top of her jacket during the entire run. Andrew is not wearing a yarmulke, by the way, just in case you were curious.


A few evenings ago at supper (facon, eggs and pears if you must know), I noticed that Andrew was engrossed in some book he'd brought with him and was completely neglecting his end of the table conversation.  Curious, I peered over his shoulder to see what had him entranced.



This is what I found.



I'll round out today's installment of SweetScooterBicks with another creature update.


Have you ever seen anything so pitiful?  Poor Shiloh had a tumor removed from his tummy last week and is being prevented from chewing at his stitches in the most humbling way.  Thankfully he's getting more used to his new decoration and isn't crashing into everything quite as violently now.  Just got the pathology report back and it's benign - yea! We sure love this sweet boy.

6 comments:

Nina of the Precious, Nibblet, and Wee Bairn said...

Hugs to Shiloh--so glad it was benign! I will not claim my points and omelet, as I had previous information about the chick names. I will, however, wager a brass farthing that it takes Aunt Amy very little time to find the connection. Oh, and I think the spelling is yarmulke. How would I know that, you ask? Using captions while watching a travel show about the Middle East, of course!

Christy said...

I can always count on Nina for a good spelling correction. Never would have figured that spelling in a million years. I really love why you know it. :-)

trmills said...

Beautiful new girls, all. You do need a Rose, though, to be in charge of fun. I just can't wait for my tour of the grounds! Happy healing, Shiloh, faithful friend.

Crazy Aunt Sallie said...

I am so glad that Shiloh's tumor was benign! As usual, your kiddos are way too cute and getting way too big! I can't wait to come meet your new chickens!

Brea said...

There is always a laugh out loud moment in each of your posts. This time for me it was the yarmulke. Your new chicks are gorgeous. Little Women? Let's see, they had a Jo and a Meg...now I can't remember all your names, and I can't remember if any of them were Jo and Meg...will have to give this more thought. So thankful your Shiloh is going to be alright!

Unknown said...

Elsbeth is looking so grown up. All of those chicks are adorable. Andrew is so smart I'm scared of him already! I bet he knows more than I do...at least about electric motors.