Monday, August 18, 2008

That'll Do, Pig. That'll Do.

helping Mommy snap green beans for supper

Life is settling into a nice routine once again. This morning we hung out and waited for our exterminator (blessings and peace be upon him) to come eliminate our German roach infestation. Ahhhhhhhhhh! Funny thing is that they're smaller than our normal horrible GA roaches and so I thought they were something else, and thus wasn't as afraid of them. Now that I know, I'm on 3 different medications just to sleep here. After the bug guy did his thing, we headed over to the farmer's market to re-stock the entire kitchen (not because of the bugs, but because my brother was here this weekend). While I was selecting some basil, a middle-eastern man standing next to me starting yelling to his friend in the next aisle. "Habib!" "Habib!!" Each time he shouted, I heard a little voice from my shopping cart quietly say, "Habib." I was trying not to laugh out loud, thinking the guy wasn't going to notice, but he turned to Andrew with a big grin and said, "That's right ... Habib." Maybe you just had to be there, but it was the highlight of my shopping.

splashing in puddles

This afternoon we went to Kroger for canned goods and such (my brother eats a lot). Last time we were there, the kind check-out lady gave Andrew a lolly pop, so as soon as we pulled into the parking lot he began saying "holly hop!" with considerable passion. Fortunately he was rewarded at the end of our Kroger experience - he'd been quite a trooper with all the shopping.

preparing to roll trucks down the driveway

Another thing The Precious is very passionate about these days is elevators, which he pronounces eh-ticka-ticka-ticka. I love to hear him say this. He can spot one from a mile away (I had no idea there was an elevator near the self-checkout at Kroger) and is usually pretty good about pressing the button I suggest as opposed to the "Push Only In Case Of Fire" button that is bright red and ridiculously low to the ground.

Saturday morning Sesame Street

Bradley is in "jump school" here in Georgia for the next few weeks where he will learn how to jump out of an airplane and not die. According to him, a potato could do it since they're attached to some sort of pole in the plane that opens the parachute for them, but I'm still pretty impressed. And, I mean, you still have to land properly, right? I don't guess a potato would care if both his legs broke off when he hit the ground. Having him here this weekend was great - I laughed a lot. I wish I could re-tell the story of his recent adventure dropping out of a helicopter into the ocean, but I wouldn't do it justice. Let's just say it would have been one of the worst experiences of my life, but he made the whole thing sound hilarious. Bradley doesn't like to sit around much, so he talked me into going rock climbing with him at a gym nearby. I felt so cool and outdoorsy as I learned to tie fancy knots and belay (it's stuff with ropes ... you all wouldn't understand).

Bradley preparing to climb


And now for something totally random. What the heck is this bug?! It lived on the sandbox cover for at least 2 days. Is it a normal sort of bug that everyone else knows about but me, or am I right that it's totally bizarre?

11 comments:

Brea said...

No clue about the sandbox bug, but I'm glad you finally did something about all those German roaches. Now I won't be afraid to visit your house anymore. :)

Andrew suddenly looks so tall and little boy-like!

jane said...

that bug is super weird!!
e loves watching 'babe', he does the funniest snort...
we need to go to the botanical garden as part of our swap-- let me know when would work for you.

Anonymous said...

1. Please put something in the holly hops to slow down the transformation from little "Precious" to "big boy".

2. I think the bug is a cicada--the kind that leave behind an empty brown shed when they molt.

Peamama said...

Go rock climber girl! You are so cool. Yes, those german roaches were our constant companions at the ole Park Apts. They really are delightful housemates. We got the apt. sprayed a lot but it seems our upstairs neighbors liked to keep trash all over their kitchen and dirty plates constantly piled high in the sink, so the bugs stayed. So sad you had to kill them all.

Anonymous said...

Awh! "Holly hops!" I love that!! Andrew does look so big! Especially in that first picture! Yeah, what the heck kind of bug is that?! So weird!

Anonymous said...

I agree with your mom about the bug probably being a cicada. My advice would be not to eat it. :)

Georgia Girl said...

Check out this site:
http://www.whatsthatbug.com/

Also, I LOVE the little voice. Caleb has been lately asking for a "na-nin" which means napkin but what he really wants is a wet wipe. I was trying to make a list yesterday of all his Caleb-isms because they are so darn cute! He was also looking at a skunk picture and all weekend would say "kunk, pee-yew".

Oh, and just the word roach makes my skin crawl. I'm so glad you did NOT include a picture, since you manage to carry your camera everywhere!

Unknown said...

It looks kind of like a cicada to me...

And excuse me, but we rock climb, so yes, I do know the terms ;9) I'm jealous.

nannykim said...

We have had a lot of rain in this part of SC this year. When that happens the roaches seem to be prolific....I hate roaches to pieces. I am thankful for poison!!I wish it wasn't necessary, it can't be good for us!! BUT the alternative yikes!!

Anonymous said...

I am a friend of Emily's thru Jenni Hutchins and I want to thank you for keeping me entertained last night. I've been having insomnia and get bored with the same old tv shows. I stumbled across your blog and it kept me quite happy until 6 am! I laughed out loud several times and was worried my husband was going to wake up and think I really had gone crazy!!! I called Emily today and told her how much I enjoyed your blog and that I think it would be fun to hang out. So, if you ever come to Tulsa, OK give me a call! Anyway, your son is adorable and thank you for letting me have a glimpse into your life.
Mitzi Montgomery

Jenni said...

Your little man is absolutely precious. We should meet for playgroup in Tennessee or something.

Also, "Babe" is one of my favorite all-time movies.

Also, the bug is enchirita from the South African region.