Tuesday, August 12, 2008

You're Right. Camping is Good. Time For Bed.

Our whirlwind of a summer is finally winding down. The weekend before last we spent at Lake Murray in SC with Phil's family for Mobley Family Lake Day 2008. Andrew's life jacket was much more comfortable this year, and he had a big time riding around on the boat and floating around in the lake (thank goodness - what in the world would I have done to occupy him on a boat for 3 hours?)


Believe it or not, Capt. Ron actually let someone else toot his horn. Give that guy a Klondike bar.


Andrew's 2nd year was also celebrated with cake and fabulous gifts from the grandparents, aunts and uncles. He was more into opening his presents this time (in the past he preferred to simply oversee Mom or Dad doing the unwrapping).

We all had such a wonderful time, as always. A million thanks to Aunt Gayle and Uncle Ron who opened up their home, fed us all amazing meals, and slaved away to make our time on the lake relaxing and fun.


But that's not all! If you order now, you'll also receive a 5 day trip to Bermuda!


Phil and I got back Sunday night from a fabulous trip to Bermuda to commemorate our 9 years as husband and wife. What a beautiful place! Our first full day there was filled with ferry trips and town explorations. One one particular ferry ride, I had the privilege to sitting near this sexy best and his honey. He kept hitching his swim trunks higher and higher to ensure his way upper thighs got as much sun as possible. It was mesmerizing.


I really like Phil's artsy photo of the Gibbe's Hill Lighthouse. The view from the top was almost as mesmerizing as ferry dude.


The things we did in search of good snorkeling spots ....


We also got to meet up with some long-time family friends, Sis and Eph Simmons. Aren't they lovely? I felt so hip getting to hang out with true Bermudians. I desperately wish I could replicate their accent.


Their home was so beautiful. I could just live on their front porch, sipping cool drinks and gazing out at the ocean. Here's Phil posing under their moon gate. See the lighthouse behind him?


Melvina would not consider being left behind on such an adventure (even though the romantic setting made her pine for Carrothead). She was quite taken with all the British influences of the area, especially when it was time for tea in real china cups.


And she even gave snorkeling a go, despite the fact that her mask leaked quite a bit.



My mom stayed here at our house to take care of The Precious, and they had a ball. My heart soared when we pulled into the driveway to be greeted with such a welcome.


I had to attend several classes my first day back just to get caught up on all the new playtime routines. (For instance, when Ernie or Big Bird go down the trap door, they must climb each stair leading to the door while chanting "One, Two, Three, Four, Take me to the trap door!") He decided to start calling her "Nina" instead of Nana and he's missing her quite a bit. Fortunately Nannie will be here tomorrow to lessen the sting.

7 comments:

Georgia Girl said...

How fabulous! Melvina is quite the world traveler. I'm so glad she made it safely home.

Your little boy has such blonde hair after so much time in the sun. This makes me long for the beach!

I find it particularly amusing that you took a picture of strangers. And I find it even funnier that the fella was hiking his swim trunks up when half his leg is covered with a knee brace!

Love you, G

PS - I finally wrote a new post.

Brea said...

Your trip looks fabulous. How do you know Bermudans? We're glad to have you back in town!

trmills said...

Hello dearest, so glad you're home to your Precious. We will be with you soon and I want to hear every detail over a cup of tea.

Christi said...

I'm jealous of all of your time in the lovely sunshine! :)

Anonymous said...

My precious Melvina - What a perfect place for our honeymoon!!

Your one and only.

Jenni said...

Please tell me that after you took the picture, sexy best's honey came stomping over to you angrily demanding you give her the film--if not, don't tell me otherwise because that's how it is going to play out in my head for the rest of my life (while you are awake from psycho Batman).

Also not to bring this back to me, which I am so very fond of doing, but your boat photos are strikingly similar to our boat photos. Maybe next time we should vacation together and save on film.

The Carsons said...

Oh, I long for a trip like that with my hubby!! I'm so jealous, yet so glad that you got to enjoy it:) You HAVE been quite the traveller this summer.