Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Postpartum Doula Named Electra


We spent this past weekend in Lexington, SC, where we had the privilege of watching the community theater production of "Little Women," staring our very own Jeff and Jessie Mobley! Sallie and David drove down (up? over?) as well, so it was a big sibling reunion. Andrew, who hadn't seen these aunts and uncles since Christmas, decided Aunt Sallie was the bee's knees. The whole visit made me wish my Bradley was close enough to visit (though I imagine I'd catch him as an act in some sort of circus rather than in a play).

Phil's Aunt Gayle and Uncle Ron graciously hosted us in their amazing home on the lake. The Precious thought the boat docks were fascinating.

There was also a small playground across from the docks, so that pretty much ranked this place #1 in Andrew's book.

Aunt Gayle kept our Sweet Scooter Bicks for us while we attended the play. It was great! Between the two of them, there was singing, sword fighting, a fake limp, a cape, a dramatic death/momentary resurrection, and a very convincing evil laugh. I cannot believe I forgot to bring my camera to capture them in costume. Drat!

When not on the docks, Andrew was running full speed around Aunt Gayle's immaculately kept yard, pausing occasionally to peer into her koi pond.

When I first met Uncle Ron years ago, I confess I wasn't quite sure what to make of him. He's a very successful accountant who owns his own firm, and he seemed to be really serious. I mean, what does a person like me do with that? Now, however, Uncle Ron is one of the highlights of family gatherings for me. He is hilarious, whether he means to be or not, and he allows me to pick on him mercilessly, which I think speaks highly of his moral character. The following is an actual conversation I had with him (and yes, he was dead serious):

Me: So, Uncle Ron, did you ever go to the prom?

Uncle Ron: Yeah, I went twice. I could have gone more if I'd wanted to.

Aunt Gayle: I went three times.

Uncle Ron: Actually, I went three times.

Here's to you, Uncle Ron! Thanks for letting us take over your home, eat all your food, and for always making me laugh.



4 comments:

ErinM said...

I clearly need to get my eyes checked, as I read part of that as "pausing only occasionally to PEE into the koi pond." I was going to be very impressed with Andrew's potty-training ability!

The Carsons said...

Isn't it fun to have family gatherings? Love the pictures.

Surely I've asked and you've told before--but WHERE do you get the titles for your posts? They alone make me laugh--I don't even have to read the post to be entertained!

Christy said...

Oh heavens, they come from all over. Movie quotes ... little private jokes ... funny things that people say ... things from books ... pretty much whatever is amusing to me at the moment. :-) A good friend of mine has a neighbor who had a baby not too long ago, and she just told me that they had a postpartum doula named Electra. Well, that was too priceless not to use, don't you think? And thus, a new title is born!

Anonymous said...

I still don't get it, even after the explanation. Postpartum doula named Electra. Is it a person, place, or thing? I'm thinking my problem is with doula. What's it supposed to be?

confused nana of the Precious