Tuesday, April 29, 2008

I Was Sniffing My Armpit, But I'm Back Now


We've been having lots of fun with friends lately. Back in the day, our Tuesday playgroup consisted of me sitting on the floor next to my wobbly baby making sure no one grabbed his eyes or knocked him over, while also vaguely aware of my friends visiting in the background. Or that's the way it seemed to me - they were probably just sitting across the room next to their own wobbly babies vaguely aware of me. Whatever the case, playgroup is now a lot more fun! I'm still a bit of a hoverer - it's my way - but Andrew has a blast playing with new and exciting toys, and sometimes the little ones actually, sort of, play together in their own special way. So cute. And now I exchange full sentences with my mommy friends!


Here Andrew and Flanagan* prepare to drag race around the playground.

"This is for pinks," says Flanagan with a snif.

"If you say so," replies Andrew, noticing Flanagan's left front wheel is not just a little bit wonky.

The Precious and Birthday Boy Skeezix*on the slide.


Skeezix came over to hang at our place yesterday, and these guys had a ball together! At one point, Skeezix would chase Andrew down then oh-so-gently tap him on the head and say, "Gottcha!" Then the two of them would laugh and laugh. I'm really sad my camera battery was dead at that point.


Kitty is also becoming quite the pal. Here's a shot of Andrew giving Kitty some kisses on the nose. Kitty also got a sip of milk from Andrew's cup before bedtime this evening.



This evening, however, we were on our own. Phil was coming back from a business trip to Nashville, and even Kitty opted to hang out in the crib, so I took TCBITW and headed to our local mall where I purchased him his very first kid's meal.


Here he's signing "please" in response to my asking him if he'd like ice cream for dessert.

Now our local mall is filled with stores like "U Apparel II" and "Pinky" and mannequin's sporting booty pants and high-heeled steel-toed boots. One store actually has a big poster at the entrance that reads, "Shmack!" So imagine my surprise to discover that tonight was Old White People Dancing Night! The food court was packed with seniors all fancied up and dancing to a live band. Andrew was completely enthralled.

This was my favorite lady. Her ruffly blouse/floral skirt combo was so sweet.


And I had to get some video of them doing The Electric Slide. I think Andrew could have watched them for hours - we ended up getting home past bedtime since it was hard to tear him away. Wild nights in Tucker!

* As always, names have been changed to protect the innocent.

8 comments:

Rachel said...

So funny...I have not yet discovered white people dancing at the mall night in Minnesota...only in Tucker! The Precious and Skeenix look so cute. Wish Weatherson (Weatherspoon??) could join them!

Brea said...

I hope that when we're old and gray, we'll all still be living in Tucker and going dancing at Northlake Mall with our hubbies. Ah, so much to look forward to. :)

I'm happy that my B had such a good time playing with Andrew. It is such a great thing that our kids are old enough to enjoy one another now!

Georgia Girl said...

I love that when you asked Andrew to smile he lit right up!

So I guess the dancers didn't mind being videotaped and posted to the internet, huh?

What fun times!

Unknown said...

I have felt the same way about playgroup. We've resorted to playgrounds recently too. Today was unusual in that I did get whole paragraphs in. Of course, the other mommies were like, "Is Rhianwen ok over there?" since she was a good 50 yards away. Yep...we have such a big yard, I kind of don't even think about it now...as long as I can see her!

Love the old people in the mall! What is with all these strange trends? I think the 2000's styles are just a repeat of the past century starting early and getting tacky (at best)/sleezy (at worst) as we approach 1980's decade this year. :)

Anonymous said...

I SOOOO wish I had been there with you. Kid's meals and electric slide at the Northlake... what could be more fun??? And we were on our own last night too!

trmills said...

Wow, smooth jazz electric slide in the food court- can't top that!. And Andrew was just in a trance with the wonder of it all. His beautiful smile at the end made the whole video!

Anonymous said...

I've just got a minute to comment, but I LOVE this blog. The Precious looks so adorable and so grown up. I totally can't wait to see all of you next weekend. (Did I just say "totally"?) Love that title, too!

Nana of the Precious

Heather Iverson said...

That video of the old people dancing is priceless. The person singing should get a record deal for sure. Wow.