Wednesday, July 30, 2008

If You Vote For Me, All Of Your Wildest Dreams Will Come True


Two years ago today, as we were gazing as our newborn son, Phil said to me, "I think time just sped up." Ten points to Daddy for calling that one. It is amazing that we just finished celebrating Andrew's second year. We've been having a good time.

We had a lovely little party at home with a few dear friends on Saturday morning. Here's the kitty cake I slaved over until midnight the night before (with Kitty, Andrew's beloved stuffed animal serving as my model). My goal was that he would recognize the cake as a cat, but he had absolutely no idea what it was. He stared at it intently, but it took me 2 days to even get him to taste it.

I wish I could post pictures of everyone who came to help us celebrate, but instead I'll post my favorite: Eunice Chantilly* stuffing her bra from the ball pit.



We started out this morning with presents: A 1970's Sesame Street Clubhouse and books from Mom and Dad (thanks for the idea, Eowyn!), a beautiful clock that chimes from Nana and Pa, nifty big boy briefs from Weatherson*, fabulous t-shirts from Spartacus*, and a book from our Sandersons (which I've already read 7 or 8 times today). A Radio Flyer wagon is on the way from Nannie and Papa. We then moved on to a birthday breakfast of chocolate pudding and apple juice. The Precious adores candles, so I though he'd enjoy a couple in his pudding cup, but they totally wierded him out.



I don't want to overwhelm you with videos, but this clip of Andrew trying to blow out his pudding candles make me laugh every time I watch it. Notice poor Phil pacing in the background trying to find car keys as I ignore his pleas for hep. Also notice that, in my giggly and distracted state, I end up very unceremoniously blowing out the candles myself.

After pudding (which was much more exciting than his birthday cake), we met some friends at the playground and had lunch at the mall while gazing at the fountain. After his nap (yes, a nap!), we had some big fun playing with all the leftover party balloons. As I was putting together his supper, I heard a funny sound behind me, almost like tearing paper. I look up to see my little boy holding a lit match. Ahhhhhhh! He was really bummed when I would let him go through and light the whole box. Perhaps the kitchen table isn't the best place to keep those anymore.

And now a tribute to my sweet boy and his first 2 years. You are my dream come true, Dear One!



*As is my policy, name has been changed to protect the innocent.





12 comments:

The Elliotts said...

This looked like fun. I'm ready to have my little one in my arms, but as impatient as I am right now...I know that it's going to be NO TIME before we're celebrating her 2nd birthday. Your little man is sooo cute!
Miss you tons!

Georgia Girl said...

Nicely done!

Brea said...

Happy birthday to a special boy! We are blessed to be part of his family's life!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful. I love it.

Unknown said...

So fun. Love the slide show! Happy birthday Andrew!

Anonymous said...

Awh! That was wonderful!!! I'm crying as always!! SO precious!! I will see that sweet boy this weekend, pain or no pain!!!! Love you guys!!

nannykim said...

That was quite beautiful and it even made me cry!!!! WOW!!

trmills said...

Tim and I both laughed out loud watching him try to blow out his candles. I just watched Tim while he watched it and loved his reaction! And Phil's torso and disembodied voice in the background impatiently shaking your bag added to the drama.

Happy birthday to precious Andrew, and we wish we could've celebrated you in person at your party! Soon we'll see you...and we found you something fun at the market this week!

Jean Joiner said...

happy birthday to andrew! love your cake. :)

Jenni said...

The candle blowing me laugh so hard and the slide show made me cry, and I've never even met your little man or you, my BFF! I pray that you will see him blow out at least 80 candles, that he will experience the JOY of his own precious and that the clapper will come out with a way for you to always, always find your keys.

Heather Iverson said...

The kitty cake turned out great!

Happy Belated Birthday, Andrew!

Christi said...

That cake is awesome! I'm so hiring you when our little one's birthday rolls around. :)