Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Being You Is Not A Gratifying Experience At The Atomic Level

I finally did it. I drove to visit my parents 6 hours away with both kiddos all by me onesie. Well, to be totally honest, I only drove it one way all by me onesie - Nina and Pa met me halfway on the way down. But the kids did so great, and other than an unfortunate experience in the McDonalds restroom on the way back (and, naturally, some bad Atlanta traffic) it couldn't have gone more smoothly. (Why, oh do tell me why, would the McDonalds people design the changing station to block one of their two stalls? And why WHY would they decide to put the one tiny, nastified trash can way the heck on the other side of the bathroom? And why, heaven help me, did Elsbeth feel the need to have a complete colon cleanse in this poorly designed and terrifically unsanitary location? Three of the great mysteries of the universe found right off I-20.)

The week was full of glorious adventures including a trip to Myrtle Beach where I was delighted to discover that both my wee ones love the beach this year! Or at least, in this particular moment of April, 2010. Whatever the case, it was a lovely day.

"Thank you for letting me borrow your sun hat, Emmy!"



I don't know if it was just Andrew's mood or perhaps his willingness to wear sunglasses this year, but he laughed and ran and jumped and splashed and was very sad to leave. Zero minutes were spent standing at the top of a water slide. Fabulous.

Our fun did not end with the beach. We played croquet, went to new parks, walked trails, ran on suspended bridges, baked Easter cookies, dyed Easter eggs, got Easter baskets, and had an Easter egg hunt.


But most exciting of all was .... Nina's washing machine!


Andrew spent hour after hour utterly engrossed with my mother's washing machine. Why? Personally, I'm convinced it has everything to do with the whopping dose of Mobley freak genes that have been bestowed him. According to him it's because hers is a top-loader and thus has an agitator (unlike our front-loader). I mean, come on! What was I thinking? An AGITATOR! All 3-year-olds love a good agitator! His obsession knew no bounds. We had to talk him into abandoning his vigil (to go to the playground!) by stopping the machine and promising the spin cycle would not begin until his return. I mean, wow.

And Elsbeth had the culinary experience of a lifetime. She's finally started eating some things with texture. Just before our visit, I discovered she could handle a teething biscuit without gagging and scaring me to death. But at Nina's we found that Elsbeth also loves ...

Ritz crackers,


Grass,


Dandelions,


Mint chocolate chip ice cream,


And lots of sand. (This may be partially responsible for the McDonald's colon cleanse.)


Andrew decided against the sand and grass this time, but did enjoy a nice breakfast of cinnamon roll and black coffee.


Thank you Nina and Pa! Let's do it again soon.

12 comments:

Christi said...

Please tell me Andrew really does drink black coffee. That is fabulous.

Christy said...

Yes, when given the opportunity. But then, who doesn't enjoy sipping on some black coffee while watching an agitator?

Crazy Aunt Sallie said...

Looks like you had such a good time! I'm jealous.

Ashton Sanderson said...

Hooray for not standing at the top if a water slide!

Anonymous said...

Elsbeth has some of the greatest expressions! Looks like lots of fun!

trmills said...

]'[ (That was from Julian- a secret code message to Elsbeth, I think)...

Andrew is a hoot- he's going to do something special with those unique obsessions of his. And Els looks so lovely in her beach hat...brings back some sweet memories! I'm proud of you for making the trek by yourself; it was clearly well worth it.

Unknown said...

What fun!!! I am so glad all went well and you had such a good visit with your parents!!! It sure is fun making those memories!!! Andrew may be a repairman!! He would always have a job!!! Els looks just like Andrew in one of those pictures!! Can't wait to see all of you!!!

Dave, Ami, Hadleigh Claire, Annelise, and True said...

Els' colon cleanse in McD's reminds me of HC's colon cleanse in the middle of a Tuscan village...one day I'll tell you the story.

Georgia Girl said...

Our kids totally need to get together soon! Caleb is the only
3yo I've ever seen interested in the "oscillator" on a fan - he's obssessed. These guys will make great engineers. And Mads can certainly show Els a thing or two about eating - I was feeding her a chicken breast at 3:30am this morning! Feed the beast...
Caleb always asks for my coffee, maybe I should give him a try, eh?

nannykim said...

Hmm, maybe your Daughter is really a bird. They eat sand to help digest their food! ha!

I really hope that Andrew's affection for the washing machine does not place him into SKipper's weirdness. Skipper spent hours in front of our dryer because he loved the vibrations. He would hug it and lean his head on it. Actually, that may have been what produced the weirdness ! ha!

Looks like you had some nice beach weather. Glad your kids enjoyed it!

Phil Mobley said...

Mom, I have some bad news: You've already used your quota of exclamation points for the entire month of April. The silver lining is that you do still have some CAPS left...

Unknown said...

Alden had his first taste of coffee just the other day. But it was mine and it had lots of milk and sugar. He was quite sad when I took it away.