Sunday, December 19, 2010

Ah, The Peat


Let's just get right to it. It's been cold 'round here. Freakishly, ridiculously, nightmarishly cold. And I don't appreciate the perky comments I've been hearing lately about the "warm front" that has shuffled through - Kurt Mellish and his meter can go boil themselves in a vat of sunscreen if it pleases them so much. As far as I'm concerned, these last days of alleged "fifty degree highs" are only better in the way that Death is better than Instant Death. I still can't feel my hands. The only reason I'm handling the arctic blast so well is because it's festive and has put me in a cheery, jolly mood. Come January, some may consider me a mite petulant.

I think Andrew may have inherited my thin blood, bless him. Here he is crouched over the heating vent a couple mornings ago.


And here's what Elsbeth thinks of old Jack Frost.


Actually, I think The Fiery One, oddly enough, is a little more warm blooded. These are her "crazy eyes" that make me laugh hysterically. Here's a little must-see video footage.



Speaking of my sweet Nib, she and I got to spend a little extra quality time together last night ... in the ER ... waiting for steroids. She'd had a wee runny snoot and I put her to bed early as she had opted out of her nap. About an hour later, she woke up very upset and making a horrible, barking sound every time she tried to breathe in. A dear friend of ours is a pediatrician, and I probably shouldn't mention his name because he's a quiet, humble sort that doesn't like a lot of attention (ALLEN PEABODY), but he happened to be at home - and awake! - when I called rather frantic, looking for sound medical advice. He heard her through the phone and told me it was croup and that she needed to head on over to the ER. Phil was at a Bible study, so I called a neighbor to come hang with Andrew until he could get home, then realized that he had the car seats with him. Fortunately, Elsbeth had started breathing a little easier, so we were OK to wait for him to jet home. By the time we saw the doctor, she was doing well enough that he didn't think she needed a breathing treatment, just some 'roids for the next couple days. Just what TFO needs. I'm holding out that she might grow a handsome mustache in time for Christmas. Wouldn't a 'stash look mighty honcho with the full pigtails she can wear now?


My Precious continues to grow and grow before my eyes. He went off to church yesterday in khakis, a plaid shirt and a sweater vest that made me want to swoon. I took the most adorable picture of him with Phil in front of our Christmas tree, and my computer can't seem to read it. Blast! You'll have to imagine.

My rational engineer seems to be growing more in touch with his feelings in his old age, having a more difficult time dealing with disappointments (really tragic things like a torn hot dog bun will leave him in tears), but also so full of spontaneous hugs and kisses and "I love you"s. It's like he knows how to take me to the point just before I decide to leave him duct taped him to the porch swing 'til his daddy gets home, then he comes up and kisses my hand and decides to make me an ornament for the tree. Ah. the mood swings I experience!

This year The Grinch was chosen for Christmas Movie Night. He seemed to enjoy the movie, which was a relief since he didn't love the book (odd for a Suess lover like himself). Mean characters and upsetting events (like a stolen roast beast) get to him rather easily - he still has no desire to see Rudolf ever again after being distressed by the Abominable last year. Anyway, the movie itself was a hit, and the pizza and chocolate chip cookies didn't hurt, either.


I'm just so excited for Christmas this year. Having these little people to share it with really does make it so much more magical. We get to be here 'til the 28th with the amazing, added bonus of having my parents and Bradley come to visit for a few days! Be still my heart! Then off to South Carolina for a wonderful celebration with Phil's family. Bliss. Just praying that my sweet Nibblet is back to her old self by then and able to take it all in.

5 comments:

Rachel said...

For the record it was 25 degrees here today, with the wind chill only 14 degrees, and we got about 5 inches of snow.

trmills said...

That Rachel is always trying to show you up, Christy. For the record it's 90 degrees here at present:)

Love the crazy eyes, yuck about the steroids, love the crazy mommy.

Georgia Girl said...

Oddly enough your firey ones crazy eyes look a lot like your own in the first photo - go figure! It's so funny that when I read your blog sometimes I swear you are writing about my own two. My cold little engineer who covers himself with his pillows at night. And then my little bean who I can't put in footie pjs because she unzips them and strips somewhere in the night. Haha!

Anonymous said...

Oh, I just loved this blog! Elsbeth is adorable. I just loved the crazy eyes face!! And that last picture of her is precious!
Andrew is so cute! I just can't wait to see those grandkids!!
Excited that Bradley will be with you too! :) Have a wonderful time with your sweet family.
Keep praying we all are well! Does Santa need to bring DUCT TAPE for your stocking?!! Nannie

Aunt Jessie said...

LOVE this post!! Everything about it!!! Precious!! Can't wait to see y'all TOMORROW!! Yay!! It just occured to me that we get to see y'all tomorrow! Yay!!!