Friday, December 30, 2011

Candy, Candy Canes, Candy Corns and Syrup


This was my favorite out-take from Christmas card photo attempts. I just noticed that they're holding hand here ... awwww! Anyway, if you didn't get a Christmas card from me (and you cared anything about getting one) I'm so sorry. My super duper organized way of handling Christmas mailings is to grab a box of cards from Target and just start sending them until they're gone. I don't think I'm going to be CEO of anything at any point. Ever.

This year's Christmastime for us was really sweet. We did our second annual trip to Thompson's Tree Farm and picked out this little guy, whom Elsbeth named "Sky." Isn't that awesome?! I have hope that deep down inside this girl who loves princesses, fancy dresses and sparkly shoes is a hippie chic just waiting to burst out. :-)





We got to enjoy all the extended Mobley family in Aiken the week before Christmas. Andrew's finger wasn't quite in his nose here, for which we can all be grateful. And don't miss my darling new nephew, baby Jay, nestled in Jessie's arms.




The cousins got some good play time in. Cute! I'm trying to get Jeff and Jessie to move closer so they can hang out more.


OK, so I realize that I'm not exactly a bastion of normalcy, but even I can't quite wrap my head around this one. Below is a photo of Papa. Laying in the middle of the floor. In the living room. In the middle of a big family Christmas gathering. A bunch of Mobleys just sitting around, chatting and hanging out and generally being merry and in strolls Papa. He proceeds to lay down on the rug, hands symetrically placed upon his chest, and is perfectly still with his eyes closed for quite some time. Nap? Deep meditation? Finding his happy place in the midst of the chaos? I have no idea, but it made me deeply happy. It also makes me happy that I was the only one in the group who even took notice of this bizarre event.




We got home from the Aiken festivities just in time for Phil to squeeze in a spot of surgery before the big day. He had been in severe back pain for weeks and really wasn't nearly as amusing on the narcotics as I had hoped, so finding this opening with a great surgeon was a wonderful Christmas present. Dr. Rhee told me the disc herniation was "massive," so I guess he wasn't just being a giant baby when he was crawling around on the floor yelling in the middle of the night trying to find a way to get back up in bed. That was all really super fun, by the way.


My mom, dad and brother all made the trek to see us for Christmas, bless 'em. Actually, my mom and Bradley came early (dad was working) to take care of my wee ones so I could be with Phil at this hospital. I cannot begin to express my gratitude!

Phil's recovery went (and has continued to go) very, very well, so we were all able to enjoy a wonderful Christmas together.

Andrew decided he was too busy to help me make sugar cookies on Christmas Eve, so Bradley stepped in to lend a hand. He's too sexy for my kitchen, too sexy for my kitchen ....





We could barely find the children under the wrapped boxes on Christmas morning, which delighted them.





I gave Bradley a box full of disguise material, which I'm pretty sure was a stroke of genius. I cannot wait to hear the stories of the ways in which he decides to use this stuff.


My parents brought Sofie a catnip cigar, which if you know Sofie at all, is one of the most hilarious things ever.


Huh. I'm out of pictures, so I guess that's it for this post. I hope all of you loved ones had a beautiful, meaningful Christmas and that 2012 is your best year yet! I also hope when I go to get Elsbeth up from rest time momentarily that I don't find a poop explosion that requires a special, middle-of-the-day bath like yesterday.

3 comments:

Crazy Aunt Sallie said...

Love the outtake picture! It makes me so happy!

nannykim said...

Wow--had no idea about Phil! glad things are improving!

trmills said...

Although the outtake is wonderful, the final choice was perfect- beautiful children that they are. Look forward to hearing how Phil is faring soon. And the picture of Bradley in disguise is charming- do be sure to share his adventures incognito!