Friday, December 2, 2011

Sometimes We Just Have To Put Dick Scroggins In The Closet




Too many glorious adventures, too little time to write about them!

First off, surprising Andrew with a trip to Disney World was just the best thing ever. Poor guy was so confused when we dragged him out of bed at 4:45am and started throwing clothes on him. "Why are you dressing me in the middle of the night," he asked with half-open eyes and sincere bewilderment. Below is the video clip of me telling him where we were taking him. I'm not sure if it will play (Blogger video technology often eludes me), and even if it does play, the audio is really low.







Basically he just does this little crazy arm dance a few times, then gets serious trying to figure out all the logistics.

Disney World was more crowded than we were hoping for, but in the end it didn't matter. We had a blast.


Our Precious can be a timid soul, so we really didn't know what he was going to love and what he was going to shy away from. Right after entering the park, we saw a show going on in front of Cinderella's Castle. He dug it until the witch from Snow White made an appearance, then he was done with that, and actually had zero interest in shows from that point on. He didn't give a rat's behind about the parades. He enjoyed Small World, the Tea Cups, Peter Pan's Flight and Dumbo. But what he loved, what he couldn't get enough of, was Splash Mountain and Thunder Mt. Railroad. The faster and wilder the ride, the better. If he was tall enough, I'm certain he would have loved Space Mountain.

OK, so the quality of the photo below leaves a little to be desired, but I want the world at large* to see with their own eyeballs what my husband was doing ... on a ride in Disney World ... sitting next to his beloved son. Enjoying the wind in his face? Capturing the look of glee on Andrew's face in his mind?


Oh no. He'd be the guy checking Facebook.

I would like for you to all click over to your Facebook accounts right now and status update what you think of this. (But only if it's dripping with sarcasm and negativity.) (And then un-friend him so he won't have a reason to check it anymore.)

Anyway, back to Disney World. Not only was it full of amazing rides, but treats upon treats as well!


Seriously, that cinnamon roll was as big as my head. (Andrew saw Goofy take a picture holding one of his ears in the air, so he decided to try it for his "insanely unhealthy but fabulous breakfast" photo shoot.)



Is it any wonder that he spent hours on Nina's couch throwing up? Actually, that happened days after our trip, so I don't think we can blame the sugar. But it was crazy that it's been almost a year since we've been to Nina and Pa's house and we all caught a stomach bug last time! Thankfully, he kept his pitiful tummy situation to himself, but we all felt really sorry for him as we chucked crackers and Sprite in his direction from a crack in the kitchen door.


The healthy folk had a glorious time cooking ginger bread Mickeys with Nina. We also had some deep discussions about which end of Mickey you should start eating first if desiring the most humane end for the famous mouse.



The next day Andrew felt great, so we went to Wacatee Zoo, one of my favorite places, because you get to see a whole lot of this:


And now a quick catch up of some additional Preciousness I failed to post earlier.

Andrew had a Veteran's Day program at his school and had to dress in his "performance wear." I could just keel over from the astounding levels of adorableness here.



His class did a series of patriotic songs, and I tried to take some video with my phone, but shockingly it didn't turn out so well. So I talked Andrew into giving me a solo performance in the living room.

And finally, Andrew's class did a whole big thing for Thanksgiving, weeks of preparations making place mats and headdresses and costumes for their big feast with the first grade Pilgrims. For the month of November, Andrew was called by his Native American name "Hugging Bear." Here he is with his teacher, "Chief Faithful Friend." I swoon.






*All four of you currently following my blog I shall now and evermore refer to as "the world at large." I hope this makes you feel important.

10 comments:

Crazy Aunt Sallie said...

I'm still waiting for someone to wake me up in the middle of the night and take me to disney world.

Georgia Girl said...

What a handsome young lad! I can't wait to go to Disney some day!! Maddy constantly tells me she is a princess and I am a princess. Glad y'all had fun!!

Aunt Jessie said...

Love this post as I do all your posts!! Love Andrew's reaction when y'all told him about Disney!! Also loved his songs!! So precious!! Such a sweet little singing voice too!!

Kara said...

Hi Christy, I nominated you for the liebster award (gasp and faint here :) Pass it on if you like, I love your blog!

trmills said...

I just watched the living room performance and am smiling my face off and bursting with patriotism. My favorite part was when he held up the finger gun. I'm so happy Disney was big fun and so happy I got to sit beside you last night!

Peamama said...

Aww, such a big boy. So glad Disney was a huge succcess. Too bad Phil didn't ride the ride with your legs hanging down and his facebook device didn't fall out. :)

Brea said...

So much preciousness in this post. I loved Andrew's measured reaction to the Disney World surprise, making sure all the plans had been appropriately made. And he does look dashing in that button down and tie!

Unknown said...

Oh what adorableness! I'm with you on the phone thing. I have been tempted to grab Wally's and throw it at his head at times...

Anonymous said...

I can't believe you didn't tell him about this trip before hand! I guess you wouldn't have heard the end of it if you had, however! I have not been to Disney, mainly because I don't like crowds......so sad that he got the bug later. Oh those cinnamon buns look so fabulous....I wonder if they ever will make gluten free ones there!

Heather Iverson said...

What fun! I can't wait to take our kids to Disney!

Shame on you, Phil! Ha!

Andrew is just so stinkin' cute.