Thursday, July 19, 2007

But I Didn't Say "Nice Wig." I Said "Bestest Looking Wig." I Believe There's A Difference.


While Phil was off feeding monkeys and contributing to masseuse gossip, my boy and I had our own adventures in South Carolina. We got to spend some wonderful time with my parents (Nana and Grandpa) in exotic Johnsonville. Andrew decided sleeping in the car wasn't his gig anymore, so some of our outings (like the zoo, sigh) will have to wait for another visit. We did, however, have a marvelous time at the Johnsonville Dollar General. I had some very Napoleon Dynamite moments, like sifting through a huge rack of resplendent moo moos and discussing the calorie content of prepackaged fruit pies with the checkout lady. We also had some fun times in the baby pool and a glorious day at the beach (if we blot out the overtired screeches in the car on the way home).


Here is THE CUTEST BABY IN THE WORLD doing a tribute to his Uncle Bradley. I hope this shot brings a smile to his face in a world of crevice-seeking sand and MRE's.


Our last four days were spent soaking up rays on the beach with Nana, Auntie Leslie, Auntie Amy and cousin Ashton. He adored all of them - couldn't get the smile off his face when his Ash was in the room - and it didn't matter if I was around or not. Oh, and while we're on that subject, it is possible that we had a first word ... "Nana." No conclusive evidence, but there were several "Nana" utterances while big blue eyes were fixed in adoration upon her face. I'm trying not to be bitter.

Here's beloved Nana enjoying a refreshing seaweed wrap.


I'm happy to report that Precious loves the beach. The ocean in particular. The second his chubby knees hit the sand he was off to sea ... searching for Daddy perhaps? Seriously, I had to tail him the whole time to keep him from being washed away. Nana kept comparing him to a little sea turtle going home.


Below is a shot of him in the indoor lazy river. Don't you love the little wrist band he was wearing to prove he was a resident of the hotel?


We were a day late getting back because we had a ... what some might call an incident on the way home. An incident that involved me sitting in a car that wouldn't go on the side of the road with a crying baby at 9 pm. Aunt Amy and Nana rescued us, and Grandpa went out the next day to see if he could figure out what was wrong. And as it turns out, I sort of ran out of gas.





7 comments:

trmills said...

You know, your description of the Dollar General actually made me a little homesick...

Nana looks fabulous in her seaweed wrap (which is probably why Andrew couldn't resist saying her name), and SSB is absolutely adorable. Can't wait to squeeze those chubby legs!

Oh, and you obviously have more important things on your mind than buying gas. I mean, really.

Brea said...

Maybe Andrew's plan all along with all the crying in the car was to distract you from buying gas in hopes that you would run out on the way home, and then he'd get to spend one more day with his aunties and cousin. Just a theory.

Anonymous said...

This is the best title you've ever had for a post. Today I saw a church sign that said, "Stop, drop, and roll won't work in hell." I just thought you might like to ponder that for a little while. Give Andrew hugs!

Christy said...

Rhi, I find the fact that the Johnsonville Dollar General makes you homesick to be adorable and hilarious. And only sightly scary. And I really appreciate you and Brea trying to get me off the hook for being an idiot driver. :-)

Sallie, I was definitely thinking of you when I came up with this title. It's just unfortunate that I couldn't adequately convey that song he sings from the platform at the railway station. And I'm still reeling from the church sign. I'm still twitching.

Unknown said...

He is getting very tan! We have the same floaty thing. I guess all the cool babes have it.

Hm, or maybe it's just all the mommy's wandering around Target find that the swim float selection is narrowed down to one easy choice.

Anonymous said...

I'm presently taking reservations for my next tour to the Johnsonville Dollar General. Sign up now and receive an added bonus at no extra charge: A side trip to The Chick, where a hot dog all the way is only $1.25, and you can browse through the used paperback romance novels and nicely rinsed tin cans for sale while you wait (all proceeds from books and cans go to the local police equipment fund). Honestly. I'm not witty enough to make that up.

Georgia Girl said...

Well, Grand Master C has chosen to say 'cat' as his first word and I have yet to hear any inkling of Mama. We are going to the beach soon with C-man. Any tips for the baby on the beach?

PS-can you believe people actually pay big bucks for a seaweed wrap like that!