Tuesday, July 24, 2007

It Rained Plant Crap, Myrtle!

This is what happens when I blog while The Precious is awake.

I'm having a hard time believing it, but the calendar claims that TCBITW will turn one in mere days. Six days, in fact. Still no teeth, and he's not taken any steps yet, but he's cruising all over the place, so walking may be in our near future. Or perhaps he'll choose to crawl the rest of his life, moving upright only when furniture is near enough to grasp ... who's to say? In addition to "Nana," I have distinctly heard him say, "Vrooom!" in response to his toy car wash that vroooms on occasion. Isn't that great?! And I've had a few more Mama's said in my direction, so I'm hopeful.

A couple more adorable developments: When he wants to listen to music (which is frequently), he'll sit in front of the stereo and bounce - his own patent-pending dance move - and look at me until I turn it on.



He's also completely in love with Shiloh, which is unfortunate since Shi might soon be diced and left for the wolves to feast upon (more on that in a moment). Andrew loves to find Shiloh's toys and hold them out for him to snatch. If Shiloh's across the room and too lazy to come running for his toy, Andrew will crawl over to him and rub the toy on his side to entice him to play.



We're going to celebrate Birthday of the Precious with Phil's family on Saturday during Mobley Family Lake Day. It's going to be pretty low key, just like I wanted, but since it's not even going to be at our house, I decided I did want to at least make his cake. And I wanted it to be really spectacular. I envisioned a general intake of breath at the wonder of my creation as I walked regally in the room with it. I perfected my, "No, no, really. I don't have time to run a bakery!" speech. And though no photograph would do it justice, Andrew would always understand deep down how cherished he is when he gazed at the pictures.

For practical reasons, I decided upon making a dozen or so miniature cakes (what you peasants probably refer to as cupcakes). Certainly such a work of art would have to be from scratch, so I set out to find the perfect recipe. That found, I decided I would also make homemade whipped cream to be stealthily inserted into the center as a delightful surprise. I would then top each with a decadent butter cream frosting - both chocolate and vanilla to delight every palate.

I wisely thought to do a test run on a couple of my friends who came for dinner last night. I was so distracted by the selection of the organic cage-free brown eggs and expensive dark-chocolate cocoa powder that I totally forgot to get those little foil liners for the pan. No bother - I'd use those for the real thing this weekend. When I pulled the first batch out of the oven, they looked a little ... flat. I was still hopeful. Then I had a bad time of it getting the blasted things out of the tin, but several came out in one piece. As they cooled, they continued to deflate until they looked remarkably like burned hamburger patties. This was the good batch. The second batch is eternally cemented to the muffin tin and sitting on top of the washing machine (where I hid them from my guests last night since I didn't have time to bury them in the back yard).

If the stars align and I drink enough tea, I might muster up the will and ego to try one more recipe before handing the apron back to Betty Crocker. Or you know, sticking a candle into one of those freezer-section cream puffs could be cute, too.

And now back to Shiloh. He bit Andrew this morning. He BIT him. On the arm. Left four bruise marks where his beastly teeth sunk into tender baby flesh. As I mentioned, the Precious adores him, and I assume he tried to pet him too much while he was eating. They were both in the laundry room (where I keep the dog dishes), Shi eating breakfast while Andrew was playing with the washing machine (it's a front-loader and opening and closing the door fascinates him). I kept peeking in since I didn't want Andrew splashing in the dog water, and I don't let him harass Shi too much while he's trying to eat (though he has frequently given him a pat or two during a meal without inducing so much as a glance). The final peek was just in time to see Shiloh snarl and snap at Andrew's arm. Oh the rage! I nearly killed him right then, but since he didn't break the skin and Andrew only cried for about 30 seconds (and soon after was trying to give him his toys again), I'm considering life without parole.

9 comments:

The Carsons said...

I can't believe he is almost 1...you've hit a huge milestone! Haley enjoyed the video of him dancing and the pic of his "neked buns" as she says when people are unclothed!

Brea said...

I can't believe he's going to be one either! He'll be in the big leagues! One is such a milestone, as much for you as for him, I think. It represents a lot of hard work!

And I think you need to try your cupcakes again for our CG meeting tonight!

Georgia Girl said...

I know who NOT to call for my next birthday cake!

I can't believe your guy is one!! I love the music dance. My neighbor always tells me (she has 3 children) that she's never known a child to crawl into kindergarten.

I'm so sorry to hear about Shiloh. The pic is hilarious, though! Can you have a dog deteethed?

Anonymous said...

Shiloh must share the same affinity for Andrew that he shares for me. :( That is so very sad. I love the new videos. It also comforting to hear that I am not the only one who occasionally fails miserably with baking projects. I can't wait to see you Friday!

Christi said...

I can't believe it was nearly a year ago that Jarrett and I came to see the new Baby Andrew in the hospital! Completely insane.

We must get together again soon. And you must know that your blog makes me laugh like none other. Maybe J. needs to get you a job as an SNL writer. Heh.

trmills said...

I'm with Christi. I don't laugh out loud when I read other blogs, but oh yes I do with yours! Thank you for sharing your gift with us, oh Mother of SSB. A couple of things...

1- I want to squeeze those little chubby baby thighs

2- I can't believe Shiloh bit your boy. Oh my. Would you still take him to the deserted island with you?

Christy said...

Miranda - love the "neked buns" comment. I think I actually spelled naked "necked" in HIGH SCHOOL (I'm not the world's best speller - you probably couldn't read any of my posts if it weren't for spell check.)

Christi - Oh yes, let's do get together soon! You and Rhi and so sweet to laugh at my madness.

Rhi - I can't believe you remembered that Shi was the one thing I'd take to a deserted island! Hilarious! I wonder if Phil's still wounded by that remark?

Phil Mobley said...

In a word - yes.

:-(

Jessie Mobley said...

Happy Birthday sweetness Andrew!!!!! We love you!!!

Uncle Jeff and Aunt Jessie