Wednesday, October 17, 2007

This Stick Has Not Been Here For Years And Years. This Stick Has NOT Been Here For Years And Years.

Here's my Precious asking me to "please open the gate." He would stand in the yard opening and closing the side gate for hours if I'd let him, taking occasional detours to the sandbox and the front porch steps.

I haven't been all that into the sign language thing with him - he claps when he's done with something (somehow evolved from me clapping for him when he finished his food), but that was it ... until I got tired of the "uhhhhhhhhh!" coupled with desperate reaching that occurred every time he wanted something. He's not using human words right now, so I didn't blame him - sometimes a boy needs some Rice Chex! But I decided that having him sign "please" would help his requests feel less demanding. He picked up on it really fast, and now it's even harder not to give in to his every wish. Big soulful blue eyes looking pleadingly at the front door, both hands patting his pajama-laden chest at 6am ....

I just found out there is a program called "101 MORE Things Removed From The Human Body." Why oh why don't we have TiVo?

I was cleaning out the fridge the other day and looked down to see this:


And he hasn't forgotten about it, either. Every time the refrigerator door opens, he makes a bee line for the Heath syrup, and when Daddy made the very adult decision not to let him suck the life out of it, only the ceiling fan pull cord could assuage the sorrow.

Speaking of sorrow, we had to take My Precious to the emergency room last week. I was cooking in the kitchen and heard him crying in the living room - blood all over his face! 'Twas just a cut lip (I think he fell into the baby gate), but I decided to call the doctor when I noticed the inside of the lip was cut pretty badly as well. I had no idea they would send me to the ER to make sure it didn't need stitches. It didn't, praise the Lord (can you imagine stitching up your 14 month old?!) and he handled the hours in a hospital room quite well (looking adorable in his purple hospital gown). And though I realize that I can't hover over him every moment, I did feel bad telling medical person after medical person that I wasn't sure exactly what happened since I was in a different room, as if I'd left him cleaning the pool while I ran off to get a pedicure. They didn't take me in for questioning, and Andrew's lip has healed beautifully so I'll call it a successful venture.

Sometimes, after Phil has put in a long day at the office, I reward him for his dedication by presenting him with a big surprise. This is how I wrap it:

I'm not so good with the bugs. I think I traumatized TCBITW, who was riding my hip as I was screaming and trying to hurl the bowl over Creepy Roach of Nastiness. The raisin canister is a more recent addition since I had an escapee a few months ago.

One final thought before I leave you. I put in Baby Bach (of the Baby Einstein family) the other day, and it wasn't all that bad! Actually, I was mesmerized. Andrew watched it for a while, then walked around the room while I had to keep wiping the drool from my chin. But there were a few spots where this disembodied hand appeared to push a button on a toy, and the hand had a scab on it. Ew! These are big selling videos, right? They couldn't find a non-scabby hand to put coins in the bank? Bleck.





5 comments:

Anonymous said...

As you can well imagine, 101 things is one of my favorites!! The drill through the guys eye was a classic!

Did anyone ever tell you that you have the cutest baby in the world!?

Pittsburgh Auntie

Anonymous said...

I still can't figure out how a gal who spent some of her formative years attending a school bordering on the wilds of Brazil could possibly be such a weeny about a simple insect. Which reminds me of the cool, blue flame of the tarantulas when we burned them up on the the wall outside the house!

Note to Pittsburg Auntie: you have VERY strange taste in television! Bugs, fine. Pierced human flesh, no way!

Unknown said...

I so connect with almost this entire post...not the least of which the title ;0) But we taught Rhianwen how to sign "please" as well, and it so totally useless to resist. Oh, you want mommy's Nutrageous bar? Aw, what a great tummy rubbing please! Oh, ok. Here have it.

Rhi does the same thing in the fridge only we don't have yummy heath, so it's mustard instead. Ick!

I HATE roaches too. Creeepy.

Georgia Girl said...

Why did Mozart get rid of all his chickens? Because they kept going 'Bach, Bach, Bach, Bach'. Guess how many times I've watched the video-and somehow I never noticed the scab, huh.

So sorry to hear of the trauma! I'm just waiting for that moment.

Totally love the roach trap. Erin and I tried to vacuum one off the blinds at school. Didn't work.

I can totally relate with the "uhh, uhh, uhh" and pointing; however, I haven't managed to get Caleb to pick up on the sign language. Probably a downfall of daycare. Bummer.

Heather Iverson said...

Ha ha! Love the title.

Cleaning the pool while you get a pedicure? You always make me laugh out loud!