Thursday, March 27, 2008

Ethel von Nozzenstrap

Easter dawned such a beautiful day, The Precious wanted to be outside from the beginning. Amazingly, we were all dressed and ready on time for the early service (not the sunrise service, mind you, but considering we're often late for the second service, this was impressive).

We had the joy of sharing the celebratory day with my parents. Such fun!

True story: One Easter a handful of years ago, my mom was up early getting breakfast together when my dad walked into the kitchen and said, "He is risen." Instead of hearing my mother reply, "He is risen indeed!" as he expected, he got the lesser known response of, "Do you think he smelled the cinnamon rolls?"

Unfortunately I was not there to witness the event, as I surely would love to have seen the confused and slightly alarmed expression on my father's face. I don't know how long it took them to work out that my mom, her mind on practical things (getting to church on time) thought my dad was referring to my brother getting out of bed. Thus, a Martin family tradition was born and every Easter we have cinnamon rolls for breakfast.

I was determined to dye Easter eggs with Andrew this year. Fortunately Nana had the foresight to suggest the deck as our dying headquarters as Andrew's favorite part of the process was dropping the eggs into the dye and watching the colored liquid splash everywhere. He had opted for zero nap that day and thus was even less moved by my pleas of "gentle!" than usual.


It was still a lot of fun, cracked eggs, splattered clothes and all.



Afterward we tossed the traumatized eggs into the grass in the backyard for The Precious to hunt, and having one egg hunt under his belt already, he took to the task right away. He enjoyed this part even more than the dying - the family all standing around applauding wildly at each new acquisition. Sometimes they made it to the basket, and sometimes they were simply hurled back into the grass with glee.

Yesterday I gave Andrew some thawed frozen blueberries for breakfast and he went wild over them! He'd pop them into his mouth as fast as he could ...

... guzzle the juice from the bottom of the cup ...


... then request another serving. How could I possibly say no to that face?


He presented to me a delightfully blue diaper this afternoon. Ah, the things that amuse me these days!

11 comments:

Jean Joiner said...

love that blueberry smile. christy, you looked beautiful on Easter, by the way.

trmills said...

Andrew is adorable with his blueberries (and I love that look of concentration while he's trying to crush an egg, I think; Asa has that very same look), and his mama looked beautiful in her polka dot Easter dress!

Unknown said...

That's adorable!

Anonymous said...

Dear Precious,
Grandpa and I loved sharing Easter with you. The blueberry bushes have plenty of buds, and the bees are busy pollinating them, so come July there should be a new supply of ammunition for creating blue diapers. I'm sure I'll get to change a few!
All our love,
Nana and Grandpa

jane said...

i think that elisha has that same bib... dr. seuss? i'm convinced that if i cultivate a love of dr. seuss in him then he will be quirkily creative-- which is my ulitmate parenting goal;-)

Brea said...

I didn't even think of trying outdoor egg dying. Good thinking! I love the blueberry smile, too!

Unknown said...

It's SO strange that Rhianwen and Andrew try some of the same stuff at the same time. Like the blueberries...she just had those for the first time this week too. OH, and even stranger...the Easter Egg hunting...trying that out for the first time, go figure!

Heather Iverson said...

I can't wait to hunt easter eggs with Katelyn next year! I know you must have had a blast!

I enjoyed seeing the picture of your parents. I haven't seen them since your wedding!!! Nice family picture too. You all looked great!

Can't wait to change my first blueberry diaper. I look forward to it.

heather said...

You are a better mother than I am! When it came to dying easter eggs, I set the big kids up with their stuff and strapped Caleb into a chair with some play doh and a snack, praying that he wouldn't pitch a fit about wanting to participate. I think that Chris actually let him do one of the glitter eggs that you rolled in a bag but I would have rather poked my eyeball out with a fork than let him actually dip an egg! :)

Hannah said...

Christy, thanks for finding me! I saw your blog some time ago, then lost the address! So hate not seeing you when Jason goes to Atlanta! Love the blog and the precious! Missing you!

Chip said...

Ah ha ha ha. That last picture is excellent.

I didn't realize his name was Andrew! I wonder if God allows Andrew I to watch over him?

I think I'll try saying "Do you think he smelled the cinamon buns?" at my next Easter service.