Monday, June 16, 2008

Mutton Chop Withers



What tremendous fun! I highly encourage all of you to stop by a dude ranch in New Mexico at your next opportunity. If you can believe it, I'm rushing to get this post up since I'll be leaving in the morning for another trip to Johnsonville to celebrate Dad (Father's Day and birthday) while Phil is on a long business trip. No end to the festivities in sight!

We began our NM adventures with a tram ride to Sandia Peak in Albuquerque (longest tram ride in the world, just in case you were wondering).


Melvina declared the ride "deadly" which apparently means "quite good" in Irish. I didn't even know she was Irish. Gil, do you think you're related?

Andrew's first stay in a hotel was a big hit, especially the mirrored closet. I'm thinking of having one installed in the kitchen as meal preparation entertainment.


The next day we drove the 4 hours to the ranch (2 hours past the last gas station). Many things along the way served as reminders that I wasn't in Atlanta anymore.


Naps were hard to come by, so we reveled in the ones we got.


Once at the ranch, we settled into our cabins and relaxed for the evening. Melvina was quick to claim a bunk by the window.


The first attempt to put Andrew in his cowboy hat was a bust.


Here he is warming up to Jack, who lived right behind our cabin.




We all learned the basics of lassoing. Aunt Jessie was by far the most skilled.


The cow and the boy regarded one another.


This shot made me want Phil to leave the business world and take up ranching. Isn't he adorable?


I called this contraption "the bird poop game." The Precious loved to run his hands all over it, especially around meal times.


Melvina watched all the action from her personal garden.


Hike #1 to see some cave dwellings used by ancient Native American tribes as well as cowboys and outlaws. Cool.



This is a pictograph of a pregnant woman delivering her baby while skydiving. She and the baby appear to be enjoying the experience, so really, who's to judge?


Worn out cow poke. Thanks, Gwen, for the awesome backpack!


Some photos from my second trail ride. (I was too busy gripping the saddle horn to take pictures the first time. The fact that my horse, Shortcake, was in heat and determined to nuzzle all the other horses, making them angry and causing them to snort and kick at her, contributed.)

Aunt Sallie looking quite comfortable on Red.



Hike #2 to see pit houses used by another Native American tribe.

There were pieces of ancient pottery everywhere. Andrew thought the rocks were just as interesting.


Melvina proudly displays some of her findings.


Next attempt at the cowboy hat went much better. He loved his boots, by the way, and was quite adept at running around in them despite the heel.





Here I am on Shortcake in the coralle. (Thankfully, she was feeling less flirty that day.) Don't I look huge? She was a pretty small horse, but man, it doesn't even look like I had to jump up to get on. I kind of feel sorry for her now. I'm sure every time she saw me coming she thought, "Crap, there comes that giant woman again."


Our last trail ride was amazing. I felt like I was in "The Man From Snowy River." Unfortunately the pictures just don't capture the beauty of the land at all.



Our wrangler, Meris, brought out the miniature horse Taco for Andrew to meet the morning we left. He loved looking at him, but got pretty nervous when we encouraged him to get up close.


We put Melvina on Taco for a ride, but she had a panic attack and threw herself to the ground, so we let her ride Meris instead.


This a spot only a few miles from Phil's parents' home. Not bad, huh.


Thank you so much, Nannie and Papa, for our amazing southwestern adventure!

(If you only knew how many pictures I wanted to post, then you'd give me some credit.)

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love ALL the pictures! Can't wait to see more. The little man looks so grown up in some of them. Were the ancient "pit houses" like pit toilets? Native American outhouses? What a tourist attraction!

I'm so glad everyone, including Melvina, had such a fabulous time.

trmills said...

So glad you're back! Your pictures are fabulous and I'm so glad you had a wild (in a west sort of way) time. The last two pictures are my favorite, and you get big points for your artsy cowboy family shadow shot! Look forward to talking soon, when you return from your next big adventure.

Unknown said...

Wow! Looks so fun! And I love New Mexico! Was that an Ergo carrier? Andrew looks so cute in his hat and boots. Phil needs some too for a nice father son look ;0)

At first I thought the Man from Snowy River comment was referring to how you and your trusty steed went chasing wild stallions down one of those precipices, buuuut I guess not.

Brea said...

Thanks for sharing your big adventure! The last shot is my favorite!

Erin said...

It looked WONDERFUL--I'm coming over to see more pictures sometime when you're back. BTW, if you ever want an Ergo-type carrier of your own, I have a pattern and would be happy to make you one (or I can just give you the pattern and you can do it).

Heather Iverson said...

I'm glad someone else posts lots of pictures. I always feel like I get carried away and post way too many but it is too hard to choose what not to post. I enjoyed looking at all of them. Keep them coming!

Looks like you had a wonderful time and Andrew was a real trooper!

Craig and Gwen said...

Glad the Ergo was a hit!

Pics are GREAT!

G

Peamama said...

Your trip looks DEADLY!! I knew Melvina looked familiar...she's my long lost Irish second cousin! I also have pondered installing one of those mirrored sliding doors in the kitchen. Fun for the whole family!

Anonymous said...

How fun! Looks like you all had a blast.