Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Thank Your, Ladies and Gentlemen


Every year I get really excited about fall and make a grand declaration about how many fall festivals we're going to attend and how many caramel apples we're going to eat and how we're going to drape ourselves in warm popcorn and cider and leaves ... you get the picture. In my 30 years of existence, I think I've actually attended somewhere around zero fall festivals. The season is young(ish), so there's still time for me to make good on this year's promises, but even if I turn out to be a big liar once again, at least I can say that I took Andrew to a really cool pumpkin patch (a first for both of us).

The whole experience was charming. Andrew loved running through aisles of pumpkins and wasted no time selecting one he deemed worthy (I took this picture before I read the sign that said "No picking up pumpkins by the stems.")


"Yeah, I'm cool. I'm sittin' on a pumpkin in my jean jacket. What?" (I took this picture before reading the sign that said "No sitting on pumpkins.")


To my shame, we didn't bathe in caramel apples or popcorn, BUT my boy had his first experience with boiled peanuts. I think I get some major fall points for that.



He also went on pretty schnazzy hay ride. You know you're in the south when your hay ride takes you by some gigantic talking pumpkins with unbelievable hillbilly accents that offer a "God loves you" message. Another fun item I assume you wouldn't find in, say, Massachusetts: A huge sign in the parking lot that reads "No Alcohol Or Profanity." Fortunately I read this one ahead of time.


The icing on the cake was that we got to share the experience with some of our dearest friends. Here we are with Ishbibenob*, Rhianna, and Starla*, who are "home" from Thailand for a bit. We're soaking up every second.

In closing, something totally unrelated to the glories of autumn. From the time Andrew wakes up to the time he goes to bed, he is asking to watch TV. Specifically "W W", which is what he calls the "Baby Bach" video of the Baby Einstein family. (He calls it that because they read out their web site at the beginning.) I try to space these viewings out as science and medicine and current Christian thought have instilled fears in me that one day Andrew will spontaneously combust simply by standing too close to the Devil box. However, I want the world at large to see what I'm up against. Here's a clip of Precious watching is favorite segment of "W W."

*As you may have guessed, names have been changed to protect the innocent.

9 comments:

Peamama said...

Oh my goodness, that is the cutest reaction to Baby Einstein ever. I love that he calls it W W. And you know you have watched "You've Got Mail" too many times when you recognize that quote. Did you use it b/c of their appreciation of fall? I always think of making a bouquet of freshly sharpened pencils just b/c of that movie. Happy fall festival season!!

Anonymous said...

Christy, must I remind you that you did indeed attend a Fall Festival when we went walking downtown at Fall for Greenville. :) Andrew already looks bigger in those pictures than the last time I saw him!

trmills said...

His glee is so obvious! You're brilliant to capture it. Thanks to a recent loaner from Granna, Asa makes daily requests for "Jay Jay Eh-plane", and is crushed if and when I say no. It's a hard business, this mommy-ing!

Heather Iverson said...

What an adorable video! I love the obvious delight on his face. He is such a cutie.

Katelyn is a big time lover of Baby Einstein. She calls it "Da-dine" (Einstein, duh) and points at the TV with these big blue begging eyes. She's pretty hard to refuse! I feel like the wicked witch when I have to tell her that one video...or sometimes two if I'm feeling like a real push over...is enough. :o)

Anonymous said...

Put me on the list of people who have watched and enjoyed "You've Got Mail" too many times. I also love the idea of a bouquet of sharpened pencils!
If my Precious gets any cuter I may be the one to spontaneously combust.

Christy said...

Sallie, you're right. My appologies. I guess that event was just a little more high class than I imagined for your average fall festival. The offers of shrimp scampi and beef tenderloin from the booths on the side of the street as opposed to popcorn and pumpkin bread threw me. :-)

Brea said...

The TV thing is hard. We get requests to "watch Ninestein" or "Word of da Beans" (Veggie Tales) several times per day. I think it's really fun to watch him laugh aloud at something he finds funny, but it's definitely painful when I must insist that we've had enough TV.

Georgia Girl said...

Hey at least he laughs at the joke, eh? We've moved on to "Doya, watch Doya". My favorite is when you ask Sparticus what Swiper says, he replies, "Oh man".

Glad you noticed the no alcohol and profanity sign first. I wouldn't like to see Andrew passed out on the hay ride with a Bud in his hand.

Mmmmm...boiled peanuts.

Unknown said...

Thank the Lord you read that sign before hand! I don't even want to know what would have transpired if you hadn't. Probably some blurry pictures of smashed pumpkins with blue lights in the background :)