Monday, January 26, 2009

Is It True That The Guy In The Red Shirt Just Wants To Be A Better Dancer?


Right now my big, big boy is asleep in his Big Boy Cozy Bed in his Big Boy Room! For the second night in a row! This is just incredible to me. I'd been taking my time with this transition, partly because it seemed so intimidating and partly because I was pretty sure he wasn't going to be down with the change. So on Thursday night, I decided to do his evening story time in his new room, just to ease into things. He loved being in there, so I hesitantly asked if he wanted to sleep in there, too, and he was thrilled with the idea. So we gave it a whirl.

The whirl lasted about an hour-and-a-half, but it was a good whirl. The only problem was that he was so excited about his new spot that sleeping was put way on the back burner.

We had lots of this...


...and this...


...and some festive rolling around on the pillow padding I put down, but in the end, it was back in the crib to bring on the sleep. He went on to have a couple of really good rest times (no sleep, but he was much calmer and obedient to the "don't get out of bed 'til I come get you" rule), so we gave nighttime another go last night.

Here he is about 30 minutes after I put him down:


And here is a couple hours later when I checked on him:


Ah, the pitiful cuteness! Phil and I just stared from the door for a while. As much as I hated to disturb him, I just couldn't leave him with his face on the air vent. Poor thing looked around completely bewildered for several minutes after I layed him back in bed, then it took about 3 hours to get him back to sleep. I'm hoping for a little bit smoother night tonight, but I consider last night a total success. He wasn't interested in getting back in his crib, and after he settled back down, he slept until 8:30 without waking up or rolling across the room. I'm so proud of my big boy, but part of me wants to go in there, grab him out of that bed, and rock him in his nursery chair 'til morning.

Here's the latest belly picture - me and my Nibblet at 6 months.


Within the last few weeks, I've noticed people giving me wary glances and asking me if I'm OK as though my water might break right in front of them. Ladies at church are patting my arm and giving me understanding and pained smiles and saying things like, "Are you ready to pop?" and "So, how much longer is it?" certainly expecting the answer to be in days or weeks. I think I'm going to have a t-shirt made that says, "I have 3 months to go, so save your pity for the beginning of April!" :-)

Oh, and here's a funny story I forgot to tell in my last post. On my trip to see family last week, Andrew and I stopped into a McDonalds for some lunch. The cashier, who looked to be all of 17 years old, took a look at me and said the following: "You know you're not supposed to lift more than 10 pounds ... (pause for condescending smile and pointed look at Andrew on my hip) ... and I'm pretty sure he weighs more that 10 pounds." Ten pounds?! I've never heard of such. I wouldn't be able to take my groceries in from the car. Heck, I wouldn't be able to lift Rhianna's sweet new baby who tipped the hospital scales at over 11 pounds. But seriously, even if I'd walked up there with Phil on my hip I would have been a little surprised by the chastisement.

10 comments:

Heather Iverson said...

I am not looking forward to the day when we have to move Katelyn to a big girl bed. That seems like a lot of work and bed time is much too easy the way it is right now! I love the pictures though. He is so adorable.

Anonymous said...

Is that title supposed to say bed or be? :)

Dave, Ami, Hadleigh Claire, Annelise, and True said...

That is awesome! I love all the crazy pillows surrounding the bed, awesome!

Peamama said...

Way to go Andrew! Looks like he is off to a great start. I love that he rolled across the room and stayed asleep. I think those people are crazy. You look very normal and beautiful for 6 months pregnant.

Christy said...

Oh the horror! Thank you very much, Crazy Aunt Sallie. That was supposed to be "BE a better dancer." Guess I had bed on the brain ... in a very innocent way. :-)

jane said...

don't worry- mt doc. said 40 pounds... that is hilarious!
i'm at the point where people ask my due date and when they hear they just look at me with pity as well. print me a "save the pity" shirt as well ;-)

Georgia Girl said...

I was definitely more upset when Sparticus moved to his big boy bed than he was. The photos of Andrew are hilarious! Have you considered adding a rail to the bed? Who would ever think laying on an air vent would be comfortable rest, huh?

Brooke said...

Embrace the big belly, it's wonderful! And for whenever I'm next pregnant - I'll need a save the pity shirt too - that would have been so helpful for the past two. Saying "September" for your due date in the hot days of summer - people feel like that's forever away and it seems to amplify my behemoth proportions.

Unknown said...

Wow! The floor picture is great. Maybe a safety rail would help keep him contained? Your landing pads are hilarious.

trmills said...

I'm smiling at the thought of Andrew, right now (it's a crazy hour of the night), asleep in the big boy bed. Here's to many more nights of long sleep and staying in his bed til you come get him!

And I'll say again- you look adorable as a pregnant lady. Just let me know when you want to scandalize more adolescent fast food workers, and I'll let you take Julian out for the afternoon.