Tuesday, May 19, 2009

I Got Sick On An Imported Swiss Water Once


The Precious had a doctor's appointment this morning - first one since his 2nd birthday, and this with a new doctor ("doptor"). He's been complaining off and on for weeks about his tummy, so we went to check it out. Nibblet slept the entire time (1.5 hours!) in the Moby, and other than being crabby about the stethoscope, Andrew did great, so the outing was not undoing of me that I feared. Doctor Herrmann is having us take all lactose out of his diet for the next couple weeks, so we'll see if that makes a difference. The photo at the top is Andrew showing off the awesome Spiderman tat he got at the end of the visit. Can you believe how old he looks?

I may have to revise the "laid back" label I gave Elsbeth a couple weeks ago. :-) I knew making such a comment at 2 weeks was dangerous. But you know, she's only 5 weeks now, right at the brink of what the books warn is an infant's fussiest time, so I'll refrain from any new labels for the time being. I'll just quote Phil and say that she's "more particular than Andrew was at this age." Here are a few things she has shared with us recently:

- The car seat is the devil

- Being changed (diaper or clothes) is the devil

- Being put down is the devil

- Waiting more than 3 seconds for food when hungry is the devil

It's really not that bad. She is nearly always able to being comforted with some combination of being held, rocked, given food or a pacifier, so no hours of crying so far. Just days where she requires my arms most of the time and dramatic car rides, and still not loads of sleep.

But look at how cute she is! She's totally worth it.


Apparently hats are also the devil.


Cool thing: Andrew's caterpillar Mike hatched from his cocoon! I really didn't think it would happen, but I was hoping. Andrew was so cute, checking in on him from time to time, waiting for "something with wings" to appear (I wasn't quite sure what might come out). So when Phil looked in the jar a couple days ago and saw a moth, we were so excited! This is Andrew and Daddy on the front porch freeing Mike, who flew across the yard and into a tree. Very National Geographic.


These days Andrew sometimes has opinions about what shirt and pants he wants to wear, but he always has an opinion about his socks, sometimes changing them 2 or 3 times a day. He tends to gravitate towards colored, stripy numbers and often pairs them with shorts.


And here's my girl at 5 weeks. Look at those wide eyes - she's waking up! I'm eagerly anticipating her first real smile.

15 comments:

Nina of the Precious and the Nibblet said...

Andrew is stunningly handsome these days! Do tell Elsbeth that her Uncle Bradley thought all those things were the devil also, but that raging against them never really solved anything. I hope she can come to that conclusion sooner than he did!

Crazy Aunt Sallie said...

Who came up with the caterpillar name?

Ashton Sanderson said...

May I come live on your couch?

Nannie said...

I sure do miss those precious kids!!! They are just adorable, and I am so blessed!!! Thanks, Christy, for your wonderful blog!

Christy said...

Nina: She did better in the car today, so maybe she got the memo. And she's much happier about her baths than Uncle Bradley was, so we've got that working for us.

C.A. Sallie: I did. I tried to get Andrew to come up with a name on his own, but he didn't seem to understand what I was asking.

Ashton: Please! My couch is yours!

Nannie: They miss you, too!

Brea said...

Nathaniel has just now decided that the car seat is not an evil to be avoided at all costs. Car rides are much more pleasant now, and he adores his bath time. He was pretty sure it was the devil, too, for the first couple of months, which we handled by bathing him hardly ever, poor sweet thing. He's much more reasonable now and sleeps much longer - Elsbeth will be there before you know it!

Brea said...

Oh, and I hope Andrew's tummy gets better very soon!

Ashton Sanderson said...

I'm packing as we speak

Christy said...

Let me add a big "thank you!" to Rachel who sent Els the beautiful outfit (the one with the matching devil hat)

Hannah said...

My Lincoln is just a few weeks older and must be texting these things to Elsbeth, sorry. Apparently, he has yet to tell her that even rides to the park on a gorgeous day in a fancy new sit and stand stoller are the devil (I guess because it does require him to sit in the aforementioned carseat from the devil!) So, he ends up in the sling (probably similar to the moby) because that's who needs to hear a screaming baby as the walk innocently by?! She is gorgeous and just as worth it though, too.

Unknown said...

It's so funny, without the hat, she looks like both of you, but with the hat, she looks like an angry miniature Phil.

Jeff Mobley said...

Okay, so, I've created my own blog now. It's statnerd.blogspot.com. If you are thinking about reading it right now, I pity you.

Dave, Ami, Hadleigh Claire, Annelise, and True said...

i love the pics. and can i just say that i love all the titles of your posts...return to me...

Aunt Jessie said...

Awh! Your little ones are so precious! Andrew is getting so big and Elsbeth is adorable! I can't wait to finally meet her! That is so cute about the caterpillar! How cute is Andrew's spiderman tattoo! I hate that he's been having tummy aches! Poor thing! That is hilarious about Elsbeth thinking everything is the devil. Anna-Kate must be approaching the five week crankiness time! She was pretty hard to satisfy earlier this morning and wasn't happy if I wasn't holding her. I'll have to have her call Elsbeth and they can vent to eachother.

Unknown said...

It is of my opinion that girls are more high maintenance.

I'll be interested to see how the lactose thing goes!