Wednesday, September 2, 2009

The Story Earned Her Ten Minutes In The Uncooperative Chair


Oh my sweet Nib. She and I have had quite a week, and it's only Wednesday. Phil and I finally decided we were going to have to let her cry some and figure out how to fall back asleep on her own, but it's been painful. Look at that face! How do you let a face like that feel sad? Only out of desperation, I tell you.

We were going backwards in the sleep department. Quickly. The swing didn't work anymore, and I was spending all evening running back upstairs (often after only a couple minutes) to try to rock her back to sleep. And she started waking up more at night. Doing the same thing during naps. Poor Precious, constantly being left downstairs to do the mending and baking and generally looking after things while I tried to get her to sleep.

I think the kicker was when we had a guest over on Saturday night - a lovely, single college professor - and over and over I kept abandoning the table. I'd come back downstairs all disheveled and find Tovah and Phil discussing absurd things like Aristotle, Descartes and metaphysics. Now let's be honest, all the sleep and calm in the world aren't going to provide me any contribution to a conversation on metaphysics. Ever. But there would be a pause in the discussion and I'd find myself smiling blankly and saying (a little too loudly), "I like pie!" Something had to be done.


So we've been working really hard on this. Last night I rocked her to sleep, she woke up shortly after (which has been her way) but only for about 30 minutes, the she fell back asleep and only got up once to eat the whole night. THEN she took 2 fabulous naps with nary a tear. I was dancing through the streets naked (can you believe you missed it, Erin?) ... then tonight she had a terrible time getting back down to sleep. I was in the depths of despair. Now that it's been nice and quiet for bit, and I've peeked in at her and seen that she's sleeping comfortably, I'm feeling better. Oh, may there be no crying tomorrow!

The Precious has actually been handling all the attention his sister's been getting very well. Today I left him at the table with his art supplies while I fed her and attempted to get her to laugh on video (I'll keep trying).


It could have been lots worse, though his hands are stained green and I'm not sure why.

A couple days ago we had a great rain storm in the middle of the day while Elsbeth was actually asleep, so I let him run around in it for a while. He loved watching the water flow down the gutters along the street, telling me how it was headed for a storm drain. (He loves storm drains.)


We had a really fun family outing on Saturday to Centennial Olympic Park. I thought he'd love the giant spurting fountain you can run around in, but he preferred to stand back and watch. He did love the amazing playground they have there. One of several, I think. Look at this awesome slide! And riding the Marta train is always an adventure.


And just this afternoon I decided to take the kiddos for a walk to take in some of the fabulous cooler air. I put Elsbeth in the Moby, Andrew in the jogger and Shiloh on the leash. I was quite a sight. I wanted to capture Nibblet's cuteness all front-facing in the wrap with her darling hat on, so I asked Andrew to take a picture of us. I thought he did pretty well!


Ugh. I look like ... I don't know ... the Ghost of Christmas Pudding. Yikes. Get that girl some celery and a tan! And a hair dryer! Oh well. I did have brushed teeth and deodorant on, so we'll just be happy with that.

8 comments:

Phil Mobley said...

I don't think anything has been mended here for quite some time (even by Andrew), though the chocolate cheesecake you baked a couple of weeks ago was DEEEEE-vine. :-)

trmills said...

Ooh, chocolate cheesecake. Can you do that dairy free? And put it in a box bound for the orient?

I loved all the latest scoop and the pictures (beautiful girl! little preschool model standing in the rain!), and I think the 'baby strapped to your body' look suits you wonderfully. I miss you. Oh, I hope last night was one that inspired hope for future blissful nights!

Anonymous said...

I love the pic of Andrew in the rain! That's adorable!!

Jenni said...

You are the COOLEST mom on the planet for letting Andrew bounce around in the rain. I will not let my boys see Andrew's rain picture for then it will be confirmed that they are trapped with an evil, dry mother.

You are also the FUNNIEST woman on the planet, because I spit out my dark chocolate Dove while I read your "I like pie" conversation contributions. We would so be best friends if you didn't live in Zimbabwe.

Also Nibblet, is the CUTEST!

ErinM said...

I always miss stuff while I'm at work! Dratted need for income and health insurance...

When Andrew's done with the mending and artistic endeavors, can you send him down? We've got a pile of ironing that needs to be done. And we could use a photographer--he does nice work!

I hope tonight is an easy night for Elsbeth!

Unknown said...

you look like a mom. mommy-view and all. Love that Andrew took that pic!

Your sleep stories sound exactly like the stuff we endured with Alden...still a little bit to tell you the truth...we still aren't sleeping through the night every night but it's getting better. Teething never helps.

Jean Joiner said...

your kids are such cuties and you are too. deodorant and teeth brushing are huge accomplishments for a mom of 2!

Roberts said...

You are hilarious! The kids are more than adorable! Here's hoping for lots of sleep in your future nights. And hey, at least you don't look like the Ghost of Christmas Cookie Dough...that would be me.