Friday, November 27, 2009

Yes. I Am Relieved To Know That I Am Not A Golem.


My Nib in the hat Aunt Gillian made for The Precious, all set for the park. Don't you just want to reach through the screen and kiss those rosy cheeks?!


Andrew and Elsbeth occasionally have moments of sort of playing together - usually one is trying to play with the other, and the other is busy doing something else, but it's really sweet. A few days ago I went into Andrew's room to get him up in the morning and he saw his sister and said, "Elsbeth looks so beautiful. I love her." Be still my heart.

We were on our own for Thanksgiving this year with Phil running a half marathon in the morning and our extended families spread around the world, so our dear friends the Peabodys came over in the evening to share a meal and lots of chaos and laughs. (Gillian there next to me is the one who made the hat in the first picture). The most amazing moment for me was when both babies were down, Andrew and Eunice Chantilly* where entranced with a video and the four adults sat down and played a game together. It didn't last long, but we got in 1.27 rounds before a baby needed to eat and it was delightful!

A couple fun Andrew tidbits.

1) He has started calling me "sweetie" - hilarious! It usually comes out when he's a little annoyed with me, like when I'm coming over with a glass of milk ("Sweetie, I wanted some juice!")

2) He can READ! I just discovered this new skill last night, and it totally blew my mind. He's been fascinated with letters and words, so a few weeks ago I picked up some reading flash cards at a yard sale thinking he might find them interesting. Last night I asked him if he wanted to play with them and as he handed them to me, I thought I heard him try to sound out the word on the first card. Now, he's been giving me the sound of the first letter in words for a bit, but never the whole word. I showed him a card and he sounded out the whole thing, but it didn't occur to him that he was saying a word (like when you play Mad Gab). Then the light went off. You could see it in his eyes. He got a new card, sounded it out, triumphantly announced the word, I started yelling, he started yelling and jumping around, we terrified Elsbeth ... it was a moment. Then he wanted another card, then another, then he wanted me to put them into sentences. I was blown away.


Forgive me my bragging, but what else is a mommy blog for? :-)

15 comments:

Ashton Sanderson said...

AAAAHHHHH! You have the cutest children ever. I'm so ready for you to get here!

Anonymous said...

Pretty smart little boy! Happy Thanksgiving!

Christi said...

Is Elsbeth taking the group photo? :)

That is amazing that Andrew can read -- how exciting! You definitely have the right to brag.

trmills said...

Your prodigy engineer strikes again! And his little sister is a beauty, even if she can't read yet. Love the picture of your Thanksgiving gathering!

ErinM said...

Wow Andrew! I am amazed. If we get Melkamu to count to 3, I'm thrilled (actually, he reliably counts 3 numbers in a row--it's just 8, 9, and 10). And Patrick is just now reading reliably, and he's turning 6. Andrew is clearly well ahead of the game!

Thanksgiving looks like it was lots of fun for both the families--so happy you had a great time!

Georgia Girl said...

Brilliant!! Makes me want to run out and buy some of my own reading cards.

I love that he says "Sweetie"...where did he get that - does Phil say that?? What a riot!

Here's a Caleb-ism...I have been saying "Caleb Anderson" when I need to reinforce what I am saying and he turned and said, "Mommy Anderson". I love this age!!!! When he is not happy with me as of late, he says, "I am not your friend."

Unknown said...

WOW! WOW! WOW! I would be yelling too! Talk about a genius!

The sweetie thing is hilarious too. Rhi does that to me when she's deadly serious about something. It's amazing what they can pick up ;0)

Phil Mobley said...

Andrew called my father "honey" today. :-)

Laura said...

I love, LOVE, love the hat Gillian made for Elsbeth. That picture is precious.
And yes, I am all for mommy bragging - very exciting that Andrew can "read". I can just imagine the light bulb going off in his head.

nannykim said...

First of all , Elsbeth's eyes in that first pic reminds me so much of your hubby!!

Secondly....that is wonderful about the reading...so cool! Eowyn learned to read when she was 2 and so did Chip! Chip learned by just watching Eowyn and I! Kids are COOL!!

nannykim said...

I guess that should have been a "me" not and "I" in my comment.

Brea said...

That's awesome about the sounding out of words. Pretty amazing. Ever since I read this, I've been trying to explain to Brennan how to read a word. He's not that into it, but he does occasionally tell me the first letter of a word, so maybe it's coming.

That first picture of Elsbeth is adorable.

crazy aunt sallie said...

I'm gonna need another post soon. I start to have withdrawals after about a week with no new stories. :)

Aunt Jessie said...

I am SO SUPER PROUD of Andrew for reading!!! How cool is that?!?! So proud of him!!

I LOVE that hat on Elsbeth! She is so beautiful!!

We can't wait to see y'all in a few weeks!

Anonymous said...

Amiable brief and this post helped me alot in my college assignement. Thank you for your information.