Tuesday, April 3, 2007

I Packed Your Angry Eyes


I talked with my Bradley on the phone yesterday for the first time in ages. I feel like I'm in the twilight zone when I stop to realize that my baby brother (9 years my junior), the one who cried when he found out I was getting married (he looked at with teary eyes and wailed, "But he isn't a Christian!" We don't know where he got that idea, but it was so sweet and funny and adorable - so like him at 11 years old) ... yes, this little boy is now a Navy corpsman who spends his days doing pushups and diagnosing manly Marine ailments. On April 10th he'll begin taping up soldiers on a ship, and we won't see him again 'til Christmas. Snif. We're hoping he'll keep in touch with us as he is able. He's one funny guy, and I know we'll all be desperate to hear all the tales he'll have to tell.

Just to give you another little taste of Bradley, I will share with you my favorite bit of the phone call yesterday. The conversation had hit a lull, so I asked him what he was wearing (it was his day off). "Tennis shoes, my Johnsonville Youth Basketball League t-shirt, and water pants," he replied.

"Water pants? What are water pants?" I asked, assuming this was some sort of special military attire.

"You know, like, a bathing suit."

Bradley is a fascinating specimen. Instead of pausing or stumbling around when he momentarily forgets a word, his brain has the most remarkable tendency to replace it with something it deems similar. And it rarely registers to him that he's said something odd until he's questioned about it. Phil says it's like English is his second language.

Water pants. We're going to miss that boy!

On the home front, Precious nearly pulled up on the fireplace hearth yesterday. Ahhhhhhhhh! So we woke Daddy up this morning and asked him if he'd lower the crib. Better too early than too late, right? And, as usual, something I thought would take 5 minutes ended up taking 45, a tool box and very nearly some bad words. But all worth it in the end to save this most adorable noggin!



-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Look what happened within 30 minutes of my post ...



9 comments:

Brea said...

The rapidity of Andrew's developmental progress is amazing! Next thing you know, he's going to be wanting to get his Learner's Permit. My little guy is making his way around the living room with some speed now, and has become obsessed with our stereo. I made a trip to the store today just to buy cabinet locks and other baby proofing supplies. I hope it doesn't upset him too much when he realizes he can no longer open the stereo cabinet. :)

Georgia Girl said...

Wow-he's advanced! That boy was taking notes, huh? He really was thinking about how Caleb pulled up on his toy while we were watching him eye it out that Sunday morning. It's such a fun and amazing site to find C standing in his crib these days. He's so CUTE! C & A! How did we end up with such cutie patooties?

trmills said...

I wish I had left our bumper thing for the hearth for you! Way to go , Andrew (and Phil with the toolbox!) You are going to have your hands full, Christy...

Anonymous said...

I know you are crawling and pulling up trying to find your Nana--don't worry sweetheart, I'll be there in a couple more days. While I'm there I'll try to explain to you why your handsome Uncle Bradley looked like Howard Stern in the picture on your Mommy's blog.

Brea said...

We actually have your bumper thing for the hearth, Rhi. I think Tim gave it to John at some point. It's coming in handy!

nannykim said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
nannykim said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
nannykim said...

I used to babysit Bradley and I could tell you one embarrasing story , but I won't. Skipper and Bradley used to share times of talking and walking together at the Grace PCA when Bradley came to visit. I'll always remember those times.

Your little one is an amazing booboo

The Elliotts said...

Christy girl! I miss you so much! I forgot how much you can make me laugh. It's been way too long since I've seen you. And that little one can't be old enough to start pulling himself up already! That's crazy!!!! Kiddos grow up way to fast. He's absolutely adorable. I can't wait to have one of my own one day. :D
Love ya!