Thursday, May 24, 2007

555-LOGS


(Adopting friends update at bottom)

I'm so much more of a paranoid mommy than I ever thought I'd be. One evening not long ago, after Precious had hit the hay, I was overcome with the desire to check on him "just in case someone had come in the front door and stolen him from his crib." I honestly don't remember why that idea had even entered my head - we had been inside the entire time and it's not all that common for thugs to enter our home uninvited and run off with the people inside. Phil let me check on him, though I don't think his eyes could have rolled further back in his head, and believe it or not, Andrew was sleeping peacefully.

Earlier this week, I heard my Sweet Scooter waking up from his morning nap. After giving him a few minutes to come to, I went up to his room to get him, and when I opened the door, I heard this really loud crinkly sound coming from the crib. Being that the only things other than baby that I put in there are a couple of stuffed animals, I was confused. I peaked over the edge of the crib and my heart stopped for a moment. There sat my darling little boy happily playing with A HUGE BLACK TRASH BAG!!! My heart soon re-engaged as, clearly, Andrew was just fine ... but what the heck?! I don't even own black trash bags! Then I realized that that bag had been used to cover a chest of drawers that Nannie (Phil's mom) had brought to us this past weekend. Phil had moved it about 6 inches from the foot of his crib the night before, and neither of us had noticed that the black bag was sitting folded on top. So I'm afraid of phantom kidnappers strolling into my home, but apparently don't have any problem placing large suffocation devices within easy reach of the crib. I wonder what Kroger Lady would think of me now?

And now, to distract you before you can locate the number for social services, I invite you to watch TCBITW trying watermelon for the first time. (If I was skilled in the ways of blog videos, I would shorten the first video and combine the two ... I shall be in touch with Eowyn Wan and ask again to be her Padawan Learner.)







Thank you all so much for your prayers for my friends who are adopting the little boy, and I'm so sorry for such a late update. The birth mother ended up revoking her consent to let the baby be adopted, then changed her mind again and re-signed the consent paperwork this past Friday. She's given 10 business days in which to change her mind again - extremely nerve wracking considering what's happened - so please continue to pray that all will go well. Because of weekends and holidays, the adoption isn't official until the afternoon of June 4th.

6 comments:

Georgia Girl said...

I like the 'funny thing'. Watermelon sounds good, have you given him a lemon slice yet? Yes, I'm one of those that does just for the facial expressions! But he just keeps putting back in his mouth-who could resist?

I love the trash bag scenario!

Wish me luck, we take away bottles completely this weekend!

Brea said...

Brennan (Skeezix) and I just watched the videos together, and he clapped for Andrew when he clapped. I'm liking our new blog designation. I'm sure most people won't be able to resist clicking on our link now. Good work!

Christy said...

Georgia - I have given him a lemon slice and loved it - kept chewing on it without acting like it was sour at all! And I had myself all geared up for hilarious faces ... Oh, and good luck with the bottle thing. Yikes. What's Sir Cranks-A-Lot's official birthday? I don't have it on my calendar, shame on me.

Brea - I love it that Skeezix enjoyed the video. I showed it to Andrew and he did the same thing! :-)

Georgia Girl said...

Official birthday...May 23.

I told Caleb this morning that his teacher said he had to start drinking from a sippy cup and he has 3 kinds to choose from. But the good news is he'll get to go outside to the big boy playground with his new class next week! He drank a whole cup full of milk this morning (of course, that was at Grandma's house while Mommy was not present!)

jkballentine said...

Not to worry about the trash bag thing. There will be many more times...trust me. Sometimes you really wonder how in the world we lived to be the age we are.

One time I came and and caught Anna Greer drinking from the Tylenol bottle that her older brother had so kindly gotten open for her. Childproof! Hah! Maybe a porr shild with no arms or brain.

BEAR

Anonymous said...

6 days!!! AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!