Monday, June 4, 2007

They're Obsessed with Raisins. Humiliated Grapes, Really. Think About It.

Happiness is a shaved cat.



We've just had the most delightful weekend here at The Home O' The Precious. My Aunt Amy, Uncle Mark and cousins Brent and Ashton came to visit and loved all over us. They are some of the most hilarious and delightful people you will ever meet. Below is a picture of me, Ashton, Auntie and Uncle Mark as we were heading out to see Celtic Woman at The Fox. And really, are they not the most beautiful people you have ever beheld? I like being related to beautiful people.



The concert was so good. I had never heard of Celtic Woman before, but it was right up my alley. My favorite performer was Mairead, this little pixie-looking thing that flitted all over the stage playing a fiddle - she was amazing. I couldn't play a kazoo and jump around like she did. The only down moments were during the intermission: A) I asked Auntie to spot me a fiver for a margarita and she refused, 2) I was very nearly mashed to paste trying to find my way to the ladies room, and D) I couldn't find cell coverage to call home and make sure no one had stolen my baby. Being the strong and resilient girl that I am, I was able to overcome these things and enjoy the second half of the show.

Now here's my Andrew with his Ashton:



Now here's my Andrew with his Brent:



And now here we are eating Auntie's delicious pound cake by candle- and flashlight (see the flashlight hanging from the light fixture?) after the show. No electricity 'til about 5am. Poor Brent on the couch had a rude awakening when all the lights popped on in his face.




To top of a great weekend, I got a call from my brother Bradley, navy corpsman currently training in Kuwait. He thinks they'll be heading to Iraq within the week. Not the news I wanted to hear, but getting to talk with him was wonderful. He regaled me with crazy stories of his adventures in Guam and Singapore, my favorite being about his discovery of a nude beach.


"What else was I to do?" he says to me (indicating, of course, that he joined right in).


"Are you serious?!" I ask, knowing all to well that he is.

"Yeah. But I don't think I know nude beach etiquette. I don't think you're supposed to run and jump around. But I just felt so free!"





Bradley wearing Andrew at Christmas

4 comments:

Erin said...

Soooo jealous that you went to see Celtic Woman! I saw it on PBS and loved it so much that I bought my mom the DVD for Hanukkah and got a CD for myself. I didn't even know it was here. Alas. You'll have to tell me all about it!

I love Bradley stories--he sounds so wonderful. I'm sure he made quite the spectacle on the beach. What did his fellow sailors think of him???

Christy said...

Oh, he had left all his fellow sailors in his dust long before finding the beach of nakedness. :-) Funny thought, though, if his Marine buddies had caught him!

Unknown said...

I love Celtic women too! (I too have seen them on PBS). And the fiddler is the coolest; totally amazing. Now, why did I ever take up piano? I can't just dance all over a stage lugging a 500lb instrument with me (this thought also occurs to me when I watch Sound of Music as she runs down the street with her guitar swinging around).

I wish I had the courage and self-confidence to enjoy the beach like that!

Anonymous said...

Erin, thanks for saying Bradley sounds wonderful. He really is!
I told Christy I would have to send a disclaimer for the "feeling free on the beach" incident, clarifying that I did not raise him to do such things. She responded that in fact, in a way, I did, by being laid back and allowing him to grow up into the fascinating, unique, sometimes nerve-wracking young man that he is. For better or worse, its kind of a done deal now. At least we can all enjoy the stories!
Please pray for his safety there in Iraq.