Wednesday, August 22, 2007

I Never Called Her A Wart. I Never Called Her Anything. I Never Even Think About Her!


Ugh, I'm depressed. How could I possibly be depressed when I get to be the Mommy to The Cutest Baby In The World, you ask? Because I'm a sack of trash. And also stupid.

Here's how it went down. The day started with pancakes with my darlings Husband and Baby. Baby napped, then we tooled around downtown Decatur and feasted on fish and chips at The Brickstore, one of our favorite places. Not done with our fun, we headed out to Lenox mall where I purchased an expensive dress from Ann Taylor. (Emily, I thought of you, and I really should have courted the dress properly as you taught me ... taken it out for coffee, brought it flowers, written it thoughtful notes on scented paper ... but I was weak and paid full price. Try not to think less of me.) Got home from all our festivities to a very sweet message from Brea.

I WAS SUPPOSED TO BABYSIT BABY SKEEZIX TONIGHT!!!!!

(OK, Em, now you can think less of me.)

I totally stood them up. I feel dreadful. I keep envisioning John and Brea standing by the door, Brea fabulously dressed and clutching her purse ready to go, John adjusting his tie and looking at his watch, Skeezix looking up hopefully from his caterpillar tube waiting for Aunt Christy to come play. I stink.

By the time I realized my error, it was too late to remedy. I put The Precious to bed and slumped onto the couch in my guilt. It seemed wrong to say, "Oh well!" then laugh and eat cookies and enjoy myself, so in penance I just sat there and watched Shiloh lick his feet for 45 minutes. Foot, actually. He licked his back left paw for 45 minutes like he'd just walked through a big pile of bacon.

Thankfully, Brea is a kind and gracious individual and will most likely forgive me. And I probably won't be able to stay down for long with TCBITW giving me big, almost toothy grins. Below is him working on his first art project, a lovely picture drawn in honor of his First-Cousin-Once-Removed Brent for his 18th birthday. Happy birthday, Bean!



14 comments:

trmills said...

Nothing like standing up a friend to ruin a perfectly good day. I know from experience, though, that she's very forgiving:)

And his hair is getting wingy, but so cute. Don't cut it just yet!

Oh, and I can really see both of you in him now! He is unbelievably cute.

Erin said...

Um...uh...oops! It's happened to all of us--not to say don't worry about it, but you have lots of company in the guilt-ridden angst of standing up a friend!

Brea said...

That boy of yours is awfully cute.

John and I laughed heartily at your description of us waiting at the door. The only difference between your imaginings and the real scene is that John wasn't wearing a tie and I wasn't fabulously dressed. Skeezix was actually wearing his PJ's and when we realized Aunt Christy wasn't coming, we took him to dinner PJ-clad and shoeless (in retrospect, I'm not sure why we didn't take the time to change his clothes - I think it was just that we were so thrown by being stood up). No one really seemed to notice, though.

If we had to be stood up, at least we got a good laugh out of it! We love ya!

Unknown said...

He somehow managed to get purple around his mouth! Love it.

Jessie Mobley said...

Ahhhh!! He's gotten bigger since the beach! So precious!! And yay for steps and teeth!!! Awh! We love y'all and thoroughly enjoyed our time at the beach with y'all!!

Anonymous said...

F.C.O.R. Brent was beyond thrilled with his birthday card and artwork from the Precious which arrived today. Title of this blog will have me laughing for weeks (when not reliving the mortification of hearing it spoken the first time).

Anonymous said...

I hope someone tells your grandfather that his classic words have been immortalized on the internet for the world to read. He! He! He!
Precious, try not to get any older or cuter until I see you again.

trmills said...

Christy, this title is familiar- will you remind me of the story? Your dad, I think? I know I've heard it...

Christy said...

The title is actually something my grandfather said many years ago when my mom was a kid (um, probably more like a teenager). They lived down the road from a lady who was as nutty as squirrel poo (is that the PC term now, Em?) She showed up at their door having a melt down and claiming that my grandfather had called her a bad name (which was not wart, in fact, but that's what he thought she said). The title was his reply to the accusation. Just about the funniest thing ever, especially if you know my grandfather. :-)

Anonymous said...

Hi Christy! This is Lindsay, your grandmother's sister's grandaughter haha..Jill's daughter. Anyway, I have read all your blogs and laugh all the time and Andrew is soo adorable and I think we need to get together very soon. Ohh and I love your title and love hearing the story of what Uncle Harry did!

Christy said...

Hello my dear Lindsay! Of course I know who you are. I look at your picture on my fridge all the time, you gorgeous thing! And I'm totally with you on the getting together bit. I must make my way north to see you and your mom and grandparents - I love you guys!!!

Anonymous said...

haha aww thank you about the picture! Maybe this coming summer going into senior year or the summer i graduate we can come south and see everyone there. oh and my mom says Hi and that it's been way too long! We love you guys too

Christy said...

Lindsay, that would be incredible! You must do it. And give your mom and grandmother a big hug from me. I still remember when your mom let me sleep over at her place ... I must have been in, like, 3rd grade. I thought she had the most beautiful home and that she was soooo cool for being able to sew and knit and stuff. Childhood highlight. :-)

Anonymous said...

haha yea she is pretty cool with her sewing talent! Fortunately i got that skill from her and I'm going into my 8th year of 4-h sewing. (time has flown way too fast)haha. What grade is Ashton and Brent going into?