Monday, January 14, 2008

Gentlemen, I Wash My Hands Of This Weirdness

My Precious had his first professional hair cut this morning! I had planned to take him to the spot where his friend Skeezix goes - a place that actually has the word "Salon" in the title and where we might have chosen to have a wee baby pedicure done while we were at it. But alas, they were closed this morning when I called. In need of a change of scenery and an escalator ride, we headed to our local mall were I made the spontaneous decision to take him to ... wait for it ... Badd Boyz Barber Shop.

I was certain the flat screen TVs, view of the mall fountain and neon blue, well, everything, would serve to distract him and keep him still. I was as wrong as wrong could be. He completely freaked out. Our barber, Mr. Richard, was so kind and gentle and did his best to quell his fears (offering to let him hold his comb, showing him the clippers, attempting to turn the television to cartoons ...), but ultimately I had to sit in the chair with him and press his head into my chest. He was a pitiful, sodden mess by the end, but he looked so handsome. A few minutes sitting by the fountain were enough to bring back the smile.

Mr. Richard gave him his first lolly pop as a peace offering, and for quite a while, he just carried it around with him. When he finally decided to give it a taste, however, it did not come back out of his mouth ...

... until it was down to a nub.

We leave for Minneapolis on Wednesday and get to visit with our dear friends (Rachel and sweet baby Weatherson) until Saturday. I checked the weather report, and the high on Friday is 1. ONE. As in almost no degrees at all. I think the low is something absurd like -11, which I cannot even bring myself to discuss. Phil will be in Boca Raton.

In order to toughen us up for these inhuman temperatures, I decided we would take a walk this afternoon even though the temperature had actually dipped below 50. We bundled up. We survived. We are mighty, mighty warriors.

7 comments:

Georgia Girl said...

Girl, is your camera always with you? If I saw anyone taking a photo of the barber shop at the mall I think I'd have to give them the brow.

I guess I really can't say much. Next time try a balloon. That seemed to distract Caleb. I guess it's a good thing you didn't try for a photo with Santa this year or you would have found yourself on a strangers lap as well.

My fingernails have turned blue just thinking about your travels. Have fun visiting with friends!

Georgia Girl said...

Check out my new post!

Brea said...

Bad Boyz...oh my! That is too awesome!

Jean Joiner said...

you are too laugh out loud funny...thanks for sharing. :)

Unknown said...

So cute! For the longest time Wally thought lollipops were just something to hold and to throw away when they got home. His mama was happy letting him think so. Then one fateful day, his mama took him and his friend to the bank. His friend tore off the wrapper and stuck the lollipop in his mouth, and, oh, that was the end of only holding it for Wally!

Anonymous said...

Girl, could your child be any cuter?? I don't think so. I loved his little hat on in the jogging stroller. BTW, I discovered a new tea I think he might like...it is "Good Earth" Sweet n Salty. Devilishly delicious. No sugar or milk required (even for me).

trmills said...

Christy, he is so handsome! I hope your trip to see Rachel was so wonderful and your nose didn't freeze off. I'm so envious:)!