Wednesday, November 5, 2008

"How Exhausting," Said The Frosting

Halloween was lots more fun this year than it's been in ages. First, we decided to crash a friend's neighborhood party (that's where we were in the video above), then we let Andrew try his hand at trick-or-treating at about 5 houses. I actually shot some video of him at a house getting candy, but it's about 2 minutes of dim footage of me trying to get Andrew to say "trick-or-treat" to the people at the door and not to me while hordes of other kids fight their way on and off the small porch. And you'd need to take Dramamine. Anyway, the trick-or-treating, though chaotic at moments, was really sweet since he actually did say the magic words and seemed totally captivated by the whole notion of getting candy from strangers (something I hoped to foster early). We wrapped it up at the right time, however. He'd been perfect until house #5, whereupon Mr. No Nap decided to go completely insane when I told him I didn't think we should open any more candy. You haven't lived until you've been smacked in the head with a bag of Skittles by an exhausted and hysterical 2-year-old Superman in front of a large group of friends and strangers.

Thanks to my dear friend Heather, fellow lover of wigs, I was able to throw together a costume this year as well.


As I have casually mentioned in every post for the last 3 months, naps are very hit-or-miss. I'm pretty used to it now, and since when he doesn't nap, he usually goes down nicely for an early bedtime, I'm fine with it. The new element that I'm currently trying to figure out is the clothing removal that occurs when he doesn't nap or fall asleep quickly at night. The pants always come off (but, for some reason for which I don't understand but am utterly grateful, the diaper stays on). The shirt usually stays on, but, as you see below, not always as I had last seen it arranged. And now he can get out of his zip-up footy pajamas. I went in to see what he was hollering about the other evening, and he had them completely undone with only his arms still covered. He was frantically pulling on the arms saying, "Wambones OFF!" I may be reduced to going in at 10pm to quietly cover his shivering nakedness with a blanket.


And now for something totally random ... a high school friend who I haven't seen in 12 years recognized a picture of my hands on Facebook. That was it. She had no idea what my married name was and nothing but my arm was visable, but one look at my spidery, jointy hands she knew exactly who I was. I'm proud to say that I used to totally freak out a kid in my middle school with my hands, and that may have been even before I realized I could turn them 360 degrees.

6 comments:

Jean Joiner said...

nice costume, christy. taking off clothes in his crib is one thing everett never tried...but i know a lot of kids do. luckily everett remains a good napper to this day.

Brea said...

I've known you for several years now and I've never seen the freaky, disjointed hand. Apparently it was a trademark in your younger days!

I'm so glad we got to do Halloween together this year. We should make it a tradition!

Georgia Girl said...

Your Halloween "treat" sounds a lot like the last house we stopped at, too. Caleb was saying cookies, but when he grabbed a Snickers and I tried to hand him the oreos, that was it. And then he saw the lollipops of which he had already had 2 - too many. I guess that's typical 2!!

Jessie Mobley said...

AHHHH!! I love it!!! That Superman Costume is SO precious!! Oh how cute!! And yours was just terrific!! : ) Haha! You are hilarous!! Oh and I loved the "Wambones off!" Precious!!! I love it! I miss you guys!

trmills said...

It's been a while since I've seen your creepy hand; nice to have the experience again. Loved sharing the wackiness of Halloween with you!

Laura said...

Christy - as always, you had me laughing out loud. The wig was fabulous, the comment about teaching Andrew to take candy from strangers early priceless and my personal favorite "You haven't lived until you've been smacked in the head with a bag of Skittles by an exhausted and hysterical 2-year-old Superman in front of a large group of friends and strangers." I guess I can only hope to have such an experience next year! Dream big.