Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Hipster Doofus


Sometimes we like to make crazy faces ... just because.

So this morning, My Preciousness woke up just after 5 am covered in major nasal crustage and feeling like ca ca doody from the most recent church nursery pestilence. Phil woke up with chills and a fever. (Did I mention that we fly out tomorrow morning to visit Phil's parents in New Mexico?) While I was attempting to clean up what some might refer to as an "out of control" kitchen situation, Andrew decided that his breakfast of oatmeal and strawberries was inadequate and went to work on some pancakes (he has figured out how to open the pantry door sans parental assistance). By the time I was able to interveen, Shiloh had gratefully snarfed more Bisquick from the floor than a dog his size really needs. And my hair looks bad.

Sorry - nobody likes a Gloomy Gus. As a tribute to positive thinking, I shall now list some things that didn't happen this morning, but could have:

1. Not a soul came to my door dressed as porkchop and brandishing weapons, demanding all my cash ($.75) and jewelry.

2. Sofie has not been possesed by the devil, and hence has not done anything dasterdly to my personal effects.

3. My sketchy neighbor did not drive his stinky work van into my mailbox, through my yard, or into my living room.

4. The roof squirrels have not figured out how to enter the house via the chimney.

5. The disembodied head that holds my blonde wig has not come to life and zoomed through the air screaming. (I guess this goes back to my fear of spooks, but I have imagined this happening many times. A few days ago I moved the head into the closet, and I've noticed I think about it decidedly less.)

6. No diarrhea from anyone, pets or human folk.

7. This morning's gusty, arctic winds have not (yet) knocked over the house. (This is the first 2-story house I've lived in. When we first moved here, I woke up to howling winds and became totally unglued, convinced that the entire structure would topple. It didn't.)

8. Not a single appliance has smoked, buzzed, frothed or exploded.

9. I have not gotten a call from the Fraternal Order of Police telling me if I don't donate a lot of money, none of my local policemen will be able to afford bullet-proof-vests and will probably be gunned down immediately, die a gruesome death protecting me from my sketchy neighbor, and it will be on my head.

10. Andrew has done nothing requiring the involvement of ipecac, the fire extinguisher, the emergency room, the bath tub, or angry mommy eyebrows.

So this has actually been a rather fantastic morning. Nannie and Papa, we are so excited to see you!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

You have also not been attacked by ninjas thus far in 2008.

Jean Joiner said...

i got a #9 yesterday...that is exactly what the guy said too. don't you feel awful saying no to that?

Anonymous said...

Much reading enjoyment, as usual. Hope you have a fantastic trip and that your boys are feeling in tip-top shape in order to enjoy themselves.

Georgia Girl said...

SSB is cuter than ever! So sorry to hear of the crusty snoot invasion. Have fun on your journey-can't wait for the report. :-)

Heather Iverson said...

Wow, if you avoided all that then it really was a good day! I also have not shown up on your doorstep with oranges in my neck-hanging pantyhose seeking revenge for all my broken hair bands...that would be scary indeed. Hee hee. Miss you!

Christy said...

Yes, that would be terrifying in the extreme (but also well deserved, I think). :-) Are you going to allow your sweet little one to wear headbands when she's old enough, or have you been too scarred by my childhood cruelty to allow them into your home?