Monday, February 25, 2008

Spine Spider, How Was Your Vacation?

We had some crazy nap hair a couple days ago that just had to be captured.

Then The Precious had his very first play dough experience. I made it myself while he was developing the crazy nap hair - dyed it blue and everything!

I was feeling quite Martha Stuartish (with a dash of Little House on the Prairie) while stirring a pot of homemade play dough on the stove. I really can't believe it worked. I dumped the first pot - gave up on it too soon, I think, as apparently it prefers to start out a soupy, lumpy mess before magically transforming into a ball of doughy fun.





I guess I subconsciously felt life at home (as opposed to constant travel to exotic locations) was too boring for me, so I decided to lock TCBITW in the car while at Kroger. He was playing with my keys as I unloaded the groceries and I noticed the car (van ... whatever) was doing the little honk thing it does when you lock it. Clearly this did not fully process - it processed only to the point where I figured I should take the keys away. And throw them in the front seat. And close Andrew's door.

The Lord is so gracious to allow me to be an idiot in February, and while Phil was not traveling. He (Phil ... not the Lord) was able to jump into the car right away and come rescue us with an extra set of keys. My mom stayed on the phone with me while we waited so that I wouldn't freak out, and we discussed what I should use to shatter a window if, say, Andrew started choking, or if I decide to do this again in August. My tennis shoe, we determined, was of no use, and the parking lot was terribly low on baseball bats that day. We then pondered what level of adrenaline it would take for me to hurl a shopping cart through the windshield.

As exciting and dramatic as that would have been for all the nursing home residents buying groceries that day (and there were a few), I'm happy to report that no windshield smashing was required. For the most part, Andrew waited contentedly. It was comfortably warm in the car and he liked the game of Mommy hiding out of his view, then suddenly appearing at his window making strange faces. Every once in a while I'd see him look somewhat stricken, wave, and mouth "bye-bye?", which was sad, but no tears or hysteria from either of us.

Brooke, I thought of you several times throughout the ordeal. Not exactly your fear of passing out after strapping your babies in the car ... but close enough to bring you to mind. :-)

8 comments:

Georgia Girl said...

I'm loving the hair!

Cool to the play-doh. Caleb hasn't tried it yet but I bought some. Not so Martha Stuart.

I guess at least you weren't standing there with the van alarm sounding, too. I had a friend lock her son in the car the same way.
Thank goodness for my keyless entry!

trmills said...

I like it that you used one of my songs.

LOVE,
EMMY

Unknown said...

I've been scared to venture into the Play-dough realm but have determined to make my own if ever I do since all the ones at the store are made in China, and since it is sure to be ingested one day...well, I prefer to know how it was made! Maybe I could get your recipe :)

So funny about the car thing. Glad Phil was around! I'll have to remember that one and not do it with Rhi.

Christy said...

Emmy, I'm so honored that you would comment on my blog! Thank you so much for allowing me to use your Spine Spider song. It made me so happy that I wanted to use it here to remember it always. I'll give you 40% royalties from this post.

Christy said...

This was so much fun to make! Go for it, Eowyn ... Rhianwen will LOVE it. The site where I found this recipe said that a dog ate a batch and got sick, so I guess I wouldn't recommend it as a meal supplement, but surely a taste here and there wouldn't hurt. Flour, salt, water ... throw in some brown sugar and call it a mighty fine snack!

Play Dough:

1 cup flour
1 cup warm water
2 tsp. cream of tartar
1 tsp. oil
1/4 cup salt
food coloring

Mix ingredients, adding food coloring last. Stir over medium heat until smooth. (Or at least very nearly smooth in my case.) Remove from pan and knead until blended (really) smooth.

ErinM said...

There is also the police station a mere couple of hundred feet from the Kroger--just in case it does happen in August.

Just a passing thought ;-)

I am impressed with your play-doh making abilities--I am lazy and bought my made-in-China PlayDoh at WalMart. I'm probably going to hell just because of that.

nannykim said...

Man, He is thinning out now that he has reached the true toddler stage.

You need onstar---it is made for mom's like you (said with an evilish laugh)

We often made playdough toooooo!But I seem to think it may have gotten moldy over time---not sure!

Heather Iverson said...

I have always been so scared that I will at some point end up accidently locking Katelyn in the car on the hotest day in August and that Ken will be elbow deep in some gorey surgery and not answer his cell phone or pager! Glad that turned out alright and Andrew was not scared!