Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Inebriated Newt Fancier


I've been encouraged by dear friend and fellow blogger Emily to disclose 5 of my wierdnesses to the general public. So here we go ....

#1. I'm big into wigs. The one you see featured in this episode was a gift for my 30th birthday from friend and kindred spirit Heather Jacobs, who shares my dream of owning a gray-haired number to go grocery shopping in (something I saw on Darma & Greg ages ago and thought was mighty fabulous). I still need to pick out hers so we can shop together.

#2. Apparently I'm afraid of ghosts and other monstery things. Whenever I'm alone and about to enter a dark room, I find myself contemplating the likelihood that some sort of menacing and other-worldly creature is waiting for me on the other side. I then take a few moments to plan out exactly what I'd do if this was the case. So far I've only come up with screaming and running away.


#3. Refrigerator karma is important to me. I can quite easily ignore frightening stains on the carpet, wear the same pants all week and write loving messages to Phil in the dust on his dresser, but heaven forbid the milk carton leave residue on the refrigerator shelf! Each item has its home and should be turned with the label facing outward. I will eat something I don't want merely because it is asthetically displeasing, and I have actually been known to visit friends and throw away a high percentage of their refrigerator content when they aren't looking because it's bothering me.



#4. I loved being pregnant. I loved feeling him move, wearing maternity clothes, having people ask me questions (so long as they weren't angered by my answers) and touch my stomach (except when I was only a few weeks along - then it was a little strange). I loved my growing tummy, which is a good thing since I ended up being big as a house, and thus handled people's insensitive remarks pretty well. (My personal favorite was when a non-pregnant stranger followed me around telling me over and over how good I made her look. "I mean, I may need to lose weight, but when I stand next to you I look fabulous!")

#5. I am appallingly ignorant. I really don't know much about anything at all, but I'm especially deficient in the areas of current events, music, literature, history, spelling, geography, sports, mathematics and anything to do with names, dates, direction or politics. Um, perhaps an example would help. So many to choose from ... oh! Phil called me recently, excited to share that Tony Blair was going to be a speaker at a conference he was attending. My actual response: "You mean like from that witch project thing?" Come to find out that Tony Blair was rather an important chap, and in no way because of a witch project. Phil has on several occasions suggested I take one of those on-line IQ tests. I don't think so. I prefer Mr. 1560 on the SAT not to have actual documentation that his wife has the IQ of a spatula.

18 comments:

Dave, Ami, Hadleigh Claire, Annelise, and True said...

You crack me up! I am super glad that you share a fear of dark rooms with me! I, however, am not afraid of ghosts, but of a man with a knife who hides under couches, beds, chairs...you get the idea. Dave loves to walk around the house in the dark...insanity! I cannot walk to the bathroom without turning on the light.

Brea said...

I knew your list would not disappoint, Christy. Good work!

Peamama said...

Have I mentioned lately how much I love you?! And don't even start with your IQ...you are brilliant. But I do know what you mean (about CERTAIN bits of information)...I don't like to watch Jeopardy with Allen. By the time I've said, "Uh..." he's already shouted out the answer and is working on a physics equation.

Anonymous said...

I JUST LOVE YOU SO MUCH!!!! THERE ARE NO OTHER WORDS..... :)

Unknown said...

You did it! Mike Huckabee won the state of Georgia because of you!

You have my thanks.

Now, call all your friends who live in Kansas, Louisiana, Washington state, Washington, D.C., Virginia, Maryland, Texas, or Ohio, and tell them that they too can experience the joy of voting for Mike Huckabee in their upcoming primaries or caucuses!

Then click here.

Christy said...

Great, Jeff. Now all my democratic friends are going to come egg my door. :-)

Unknown said...

I have Democrat friends, too.

They just laugh at me politely and say, "Ah, silly Jeff!"

But if yours egged your door, that would be funny.

HeatherJacobs said...

OH MY GOODNESS - you are soooo hilarious! Do you know how much I needed this little column as a reality check for my life today? You always help me out and keep me rational with your take on the world. And the wig! It is SO FUNNY. Thank you for posting the photos so I can see how great it looks. You are THE BEST!!!

Emily said...

Beautiful. I don't know that I have ever seen Shiloh look so..Ummm...regal?

Anonymous said...

I love reading the comments almost as much as I love the main blog, because I know there are others out there who think you are as fabulous as I do!

PS. I thought a recent blog showed TCBITW getting a haircut. His hair sure grows fast, and oh my goodness, has come in curly this time!

The Nana of the Precious

nannykim said...

That was quite scary!!

trmills said...

Oh, my gracious. Christy. You are too much, my dear, in the best possible way. And by the way, your eyebrows look fabulous.

Phil Mobley said...

It's all well and good that YOU liked being oreggers, but I'M the one who was stick on 1/8 of the bed for the last 3 months!

;-)

Christy said...

Wow, honey. Oreggers? Stick on 1/8 of the bed? Were you typing on your blackberry again?

heather said...

Hey Christy! I wanted you to know that it's more disturbing than I could have imagined to see a baby with a wig. I might just have nightmares about that one. And, I appreciate that my fellow Arkansan/former governor got some kudos in your comments. That's awesome!!

Georgia Girl said...

I know I sent you this, but can you believe people pay big bucks for these:

http://kittywigs.com/

I like the baby wig idea. There's a girl in C-monster's class that Mark still calls Lex Luthor because she only as about 1/2 inch of hair and is nearly 2 years old. Poor thing! I was bald as a baby.

You have brightened a bad week for me! Thank you!!

Unknown said...

Wow! You'd better not even open our fridge! It's one of the things that goes by the wayside. Although I did just clean it and was so excited that it looked so sparkly and empty. I asked Wally if he had noticed. Nope. SIGH. The woes of being a meager housewife. No one appreciates your successes!

Anonymous said...

This is Em's sister and I have to say that I love the wigs. Your dog looks fetching, but not as cute as your baby.