Wednesday, February 21, 2007

It's Pretty Much My Favorite Animal ... Bred For It's Skills in Magic

I did a very brave thing yesterday. I babysat Consuela*, an adorable little wisp of a 9-month-old who enjoys bouncing to music and using her 4 teeth to gnaw festive designs into table legs. You wonder why I consider this brave, and I will tell you. Consuela possesses within her tiny frame a frightening power ... Consuela can crawl. As I prepared for her arrival, covering the jagged edges of the fire place hearth and moving the family AK-47 to a higher shelf, I envisioned a day of frantic races to every electrical socket in the house, me coming in 2nd with Andrew slung upside down over one shoulder. I figured if I paused long enough to blow my nose, I'd turn to find Consuela scrambling herself some eggs in the kitchen. And what about the stairs?! Blast those deadly stairs!

Well, I have to confess, it was sooooo much easier than I had anticipated. First of all, Phil stayed with me long enough to put Precious down for his morning nap whilst I acclimated Consuela to her new surroundings. (Have I mentioned how much I love that man?) Then she also took a nap, leaving me with about an hour of complete peace and quiet. This confused me at first, but I was glad for the time to update Shiloh's pedicure and catch up on some Jerry Springer. Even when both babies were awake, it was totally doable. They were good as gold and quite adorable. Andrew stared in fascination at Consuela's comings and goings, and Consuela had a glorious time chasing Shiloh from one end of the room to the other. And she never did shift into warp speed or figure out the stairs. Maybe she was lulling me into complacency so she can really freak me out next time.

I was brave again today and hosted the mommy/baby playgroup Andrew and I attend every week. We had a delightful time with the 2 mommies + 2 babies that were able to come - this down from the guest list of about 14 or so, since the baby plague has apparently come to Atlanta.

Speaking of disinfecting things, I noticed this warning on the back of a bottle of Lysol Food Surface Sanitizer: Hazardous to humans and domestic animals. So I guess if you're sanitizing a food surface for, say, a zebra or a hydrangea bush, then this is the product for you.

Why do I even try?

*Name has been changed to protect the innocent.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

However do you keep up with daily picture updates and amusing anecdotes? You must not be taking the time to disinfect your house with products unsafe for humans.

Anonymous said...

I would like to request that you use the words loquacious and vindictive in your next post. :) Crazy Aunt Sallie

Christy said...

Nana, you have no idea. I'm up to my ankles in trash and haven't showered in weeks. I've become completely obsessed. And Crazy Aunt Sallie - you got it, girl. :-)

I'm so sorry I'm not going to be at your shower this weekend. I so wanted to be there. Will definitely see you in a couple weeks, though.

Love to you both!!!

Jason Driggers said...

As a Lord of the Rings fan, I am slightly thrown off by you calling your son "The Precious." Intended pun explaining your obsesssion? Probably. So I will put my geekyness away and not inform you that "The Precious" is evil in the movies.

It looks as though both Mobley's have writing talents. We miss you guys.

Brea said...

Christy, I just woke from a nap in which I dreamt that you and I were having a conversation in which I was attempting to say something funny to you and it fell completely flat. I think it was a subconscious wish that I could be half as witty as you. I'm already addicted to your blog. Thanks for sharing your gifts. Are you going to publish any of your short stories?

Anonymous said...

to Jason Driggers:
I'm not sure if we've met, but I share your enthusiasm for Lord of the Rings, and with that, your concern about labeling the adorable baby Andrew as the Precious. I am able to live with it as long as Christy doesn't stroke him on the head while hissing "My Precioussss.."
"We wants it...they stole it from us!" or develop a craving for raw fish.

Christy said...

Hey Jason! I appreciate your concern. Yeah, it's to do with the obsessive bit, not the shiny evilness. :-)

Mommy - we likes it raw and wriggling!

Brea, you are so sweet! Thank you so much for your encouragement - it's made my evening. And especially coming from a good writer! I can't imagine anyone publishing my nonsense - if you know someone, hook me up!

Phil Mobley said...

I always thought it was just our clever way of teaching him about Total Depravity...