Monday, February 19, 2007

I'm Not Saying I'd Like to Build a Summer Home Here, But the Trees Are Actually Quite Lovely


On Saturday night, Phil and I went to the Shakespeare Tavern to see Romeo and Juliet in celebration of Valentine's Day. This evening of romance was made possible by dear Uncle Robert who took care of The Precious for us. And though we didn't come home 'til around 11:30, and Andrew decided that eating supper and going to bed was for girls, Uncle Robert was nothing but gracious. Uncle Robert is awesome. Uncle Robert is the kind of guy you meet for the first time and 10 minutes later think to yourself, "I think I'd like to give this man one of my kidneys." Not to say that he looks sickly or anything - I'm certain all of his internal organs are in fine working order - it's just that you quickly determine that this is one heck of a human being and you'd like to do something rather fabulous for him so that he'll be your friend.


Lucky for us, all it took was an Almond Joy.


Anyway, the play really cool. You have to eat English tavern food, which is unfortunate (I ended up consuming something that looked like one of Sofie's hairballs wrapped in pastry), but all was forgotten when we saw ALTON BROWN SITTING BEHIND US! Who is Alton Brown?! Gasp. Why, Alton Brown is the host of the Food Network's Good Eats as well as the Iron Chef's play-by-play guy. You may now conclude that we are geeks beyond measure, but we think he's crazy funny. Actually, it's pretty obvious that Phil has a non-romantic-man-crush on him. (True Story: When we discovered that Alton Brown lives and films out of Atlanta, I asked Phil if he was conscious of the fact that he might actually run into him at some point. "Why do you think I floss everyday?" he replied with a straight face.)


So Alton Brown was there to perform the prologue, and did a mighty fine job. Then he watched the whole show from a table 4 feet to my left. Phil and I plotted ways to get him to notice us, certain that if he became aware of our charm and wit, he'd hasten to our side and ask us to be on one of his programs. I loudly discussed my meal using my most impressive culinary vernacular ("I think my meat pie just moved. Please pass me your knife.") while Phil visualised scenarios that would allow him to shake his hand and still look cool. In the end, Phil got to meet his hero and I got apple strudel. It was a good time.

8 comments:

Phil Mobley said...

Do you think Alton thought I was cool? I think so.

Christy said...

Oh, no doubt, Honey. Actually, I'm pretty sure he considered asking for your autograph. :-)

Anonymous said...

I guess I should be relieved that Uncle Dusty's food network crush is at least a girl!

Auntie Leslie

Anonymous said...

Hey, I actually recognize the title of this post as a quote from The Princess Bride. I hope you are impressed!
Funny and fun to read as always. I think you'll soon have a vast following. Perhaps someone should get your blog site info to Alton.

Peamama said...

I think Christy should have said, "Phil, are you nervous that Alton is sitting near you?" and Phil could have suavely replied, "Well, it's pretty soon to when I get here, so I am kinda scared." Alton would have noticed that only true geniuses use that kind of sophisticated English and asked you to be a guest on his show immediately.

Chip said...

Heh heh. Floss is for Frenchies. Real men have cavities.

Christy said...

Ok, Chip (Christopher ... whatever), so good to hear from you! It's been, like, 20 years or something. Your profile intrigued me - I may have to check out your blog. :-)

Christy said...

Ok Chip, I laughed really hard at the "By the Way" post. Pithy moral. Love it. Looks like you're a little behind on your blogging, though.