Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Too Early for Flapjacks?


Sadness. My Precious is sick. He woke up with considerable evidence that his little snoot had been running all night long, and his eyes were red and teary. Never has there been a more pitiful sight, especially when a sweet, gummy smile surfaces through the mire. I'm starting to notice a trend: Leave baby in church nursery, baby gets sick. Keep baby out of church nursery, baby stays full of heath. I hate to start thinking of my church nursery as a festering cesspool, but hey, you do the math.

I know, I know. It's not recommended to keep your baby in a bubble ... he's got to build up his immune system ... you don't want to turn your son into some kind of unsocial weirdo because you never let him enter the presence of other children .... True, but my baby feels rotten, and TCBINW should never feel rotten! Hopefully it will be as short lived as his other little colds. Phil and I are the cesspool keepers this Sunday, and Phil might up the pitiful ante if he's left tending the disease-ridden nippers alone.

Interesting thought: I never consider the possibility that my own sweet bairn could ever carry a germ and infect others. Huh.

So anyway, today we pretty much just hung around home where the tissues live, though we did find it necessary to take a long walk in this 70 degree weather.

Spine update: It has now made it's way off the street and onto the driveway. It's working it's way to the front door. I have determined that the people living there are droids.

Finally, I need some advice. Phil has decided that he wants to be more fit (as if that were possible). When he goes all Mr. Goodbody on me, he doesn't like to have sweets hanging around the house to tempt him - all well and good, except that I also live here and have no such convictions. So here's the question of the day: Would it be wrong for me to bake a large batch of fattening, fabulous, fudgy brownies while Phil is off at work, then store them strategically so as to meet both our needs?

6 comments:

Phil Mobley said...

I have an answer to your moral dilemma:

That would be one of the most disgusting things ever perpetrated by humanity.

Dave, Ami, Hadleigh Claire, Annelise, and True said...

I think the sweets would have to be in places that he would NEVER look. For us that would be in any of Hadleigh's drawers, besides the PJ drawer. Or it could be in my closet, or downstairs near the washer and dryer. Hilarious.

Dave is on this rice and beans kick. He keeps telling me I can eat whatever I want, but that would mean I would have to cook 2 meals, rice and beans for him and something else for me. I refuse, so it is rice and beans for me as well. My main beef at this point is that it hasn't helped him lose any weight. Can we please go back to eating like Americans?

trmills said...

hmmm, it depends on how badly you need the brownies. Sometimes there's simply nothing you can do.

Sweet SSB, hope he's better soon. I think you're just right about the nursery. We have none, so it means holding the boy all through church, which is hard, but he's not been sick yet! Sometimes isolation does work in one's favor...

Anonymous said...

As for building his imunity, that doesn't seem to matter...I cringe every morning I have to put my hand on the door handle to daycare. I want to send my Little Scootchie in a bubble but the first thing he wants to do is put every toy in sight in his mouth. He's been sick numerous times and of course he is NEVER the one to share the germs.

Anyway, brownies are a must! I've noticed Mark doesn't look past the nose on his hair so it wouldn't be hard for me to hide such delicacies.

Phil Mobley said...

What's the matter with rice and beans? I LIKE rice and beans!

Brea said...

I'm sorry Andrew is sick. It does seem like it's inevitable, doesn't it? But hey, it's one less cold germ he has to endure in the future. I've been amazed at how seldom I've been sick with all the colds Brennan has had. It's either all that hand-washin' that goes along with diaper changes, or the building up of the immune system really does work over a period of years. That gives Andrew something to look forward to in 15 years or so...

About the brownies, I really think Phil should exercise more self-control and not force you to deny yourself. After all, nursing mothers need extra calories in their diet. He really should be more understanding about such things.