Sunday, March 11, 2007

Twenty Pounds of Brown Sugar



Phil and I have just finished hosting our very first fondue party. We've had a really spiffy fondue pot moldering in our cabinet for years - I've just been too intimidated by the whole fuel thing to do anything with it. But when we realized on Wednesday that it was our turn to host this month's community group dinner (15 adults, 472 babies), Phil decided we should give it a whirl. We had blast! I've added the terms "kirsch," "Emmentaler" and "Sterno" to my vocabulary and experienced the pure bliss that exists in eating 17 pounds of strawberries dipped in warm chocolate. As you see above, Andrew and his good buddy Skeezix* also fell victim to the mahoganny confection. (Calm down, granola people. No infants were injured by the sugary goodness.) Andrew also busted out with his most impressive forward crawling motions to date in an effort to impress Thelma and Louise. I'm grappeling with the notion that I may have a full-fleged crawler on my hands by the end of the week.

Tomorrow we are entertaining once again, but you'll never guess who. Never. Well, OK, you can guess if you want, but you'll be wrong. Nelson Mandela? No. The disturbing gentleman with the lazy eye behind the deli counter at Kroger? Um, no. Orville Redenbacher? Eminem? Richard Simmons? Now you're just being rediculous. No, it's ... wait for it ... CHRIS SLIGH'S SMOKIN' HOT WIFE! (Before you get concerned, the "smokin' hot" bit I'm quoting from the media. I'm not saying that she isn't smokin' hot ... I'm not sure, being that I've not actually seen her in person and all ... I'll let you know.) Chris Sligh got tickets for Phil's parents and sister to go to the Tuesday American Idol show along with his wife, Sarah. Isn't that the coolest thing ever?! So they'll be coming to stay with us tommorow night, then Phil will take them to the airport on Tuesday morning. You all must watch A I Tuesday night, if only for the possibility that Phil's mother will end up talking to Ryan Seacrest or Simon Cowel. She is so excited, which will make her even more hilarious than usual, and she has one of the stronger southern accents you will ever hear. She might even be wearing an afro wig. I have no words to describe how priceless 10 seconds of her on the air would be.

Precious is pretty psyched about it, too.



*Name has been changed to protect the innocent.

8 comments:

trmills said...

Trying not to be jealous about the fondue party...must not be jealous about the fondue party...

Signed,
All Alone in the Orient

PS- My neighbor invited me over to watch AI this week! I'll be on the lookout for Mrs. Mobley!

Peamama said...

Oooh, I'm so excited to see Phil's mom on TV!! Thanks for giving me the heads up--now I will be sure to watch.

Christy said...

Rhi, as the party was wrapping up, Brea commented on how your not being there left a hole. Our merriment was not complete to be sure.

And I'm so excited that you and Gilly Smack are going to be watching AI! I'm expecting great things.

Brea said...

I think I had a chocolate buzz until 1 AM, which worked out okay, because my baby was up half the night with teething pain and unconsolable crying. Kind of balanced out all the fun we had at the party. :)

Rhi, a fondue party could never be complete without you.

trmills said...

Aw, shucks, guys, thanks.

And Christy, that is an incredible picture of SSB. I'm considering printing it for the fridge.

Christy said...

Thanks, Rhi! I'm in love with that shot myself. I think he liked his play time with friends.

Dave, Ami, Hadleigh Claire, Annelise, and True said...

My only comment is...shameful to quote Anne when you haven't read the book. I'll bring my copy to playgroup tomorrow.

Christy said...

I've been exposed! Yes, please bring the book (though I just can't believe it could be better than the movie).